1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Echo High Torque Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fredmullegun, Apr 1, 2010.

1. fredmullegun

fredmullegun LawnSite Senior Member

I am in need of a new trimmer and am curious about these. I assume the feature is just a lower gear? How much does this change the line speed and does anyone dislike them?

2. bakerboy

bakerboy LawnSite Member

I have one and I love it. It goes through everything. If it is really thick stuff the head slows down a bit but the engine never bogs down.

3. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member

You are correct. It is geared lower. Last year I purchased the high torque attachment for my PAS system. It's like shifting down one gear lower than the standard trimmer. You need to keep the engine speed up. It cuts better in heavy thick growth.

4. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

You got the 265T or the 280T ?

5. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I have the SRM-265T and love it. I also have a regular 265 that I converted over to a high torque model. There's a definite power difference between the two.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Merkava_4

You just change over the gearbox, correct?

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Torque on a high speed application, what a joke, the Echo corporation
    really needs to improve either their sales line or better yet, their products.
    Because I heard that same exact sales line 7-8 years ago...

And they're not bad trimmers, but don't try and sell me an application that depends on speed that...
    Has lots of torque :dizzy:

If such a thing were true I would produce a trimmer that runs at 1 rpm and 3,000 pounds of torque,
    then compare that to a trimmer that turns 3,000 rpm's at 1 pound of torque.

Not that I think either of those exist, nor am I certain if 1 pound of torque is sufficient to overcome inertia...
    But assuming it is, which would cut the grass?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  8. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I always question: Isn't it better to have a model with a 30cc engine and leave the gear ratio alone? You want more torque, make a bigger engine!!!!

9. Merkava_4

I wish they had've gone with a solid shaft with the high torque model. Actually, I for the life of me can't figure out why Echo just doesn't drop cables on all their straight shaft trimmers.

Why have a cable in a straight shaft trimmer?!!?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  10. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Get the STIHL FS90r or 100RX if you want torque and tip speed. Much better trimmer