Echo Leaf Blower Bogs Down

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ealbertson, Dec 18, 2001.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I have a BP400 Echo back pack leave blower. It is about five years old. It does great with the exception that when I let it idle for a minute or two it bogs down when I try to throttle it up. I have to very slowly throttle it up. It does this worse when it is first started, but I kind of expect that.

I would appreciate any ideas any of you may have.

Thanks, Ed

2. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lot of older echo equipment and they all seem to do that for some reason. Might want to try and adjust the carburator.

3. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

Yes. A carburetor adjustment seems like it would work. If it trys to die, it may be gittin' too much gas to the carburator. Just an idea.

4. Fish

Fish LawnSite Member

It sounds like it is running lean, but adjusting the carb is not a
    cure. You either have a fuel obstruction or a source of air leaking
    in places it is not supposed to leak. But it sounds more like
    some dirt in your carb. If you find any mixture screws on your
    carb, try turning them 1/8 of a turn ccw and it should run a little
    better, but going through your carb would be the best thing to do.
    Fish

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

If I remember correctly, the 400's have both hi and lo carb adjustments. Sound to me like it is the lo one for idle and throttle-up that needs adjustment. When you get this one properly adjusted, then just tweak the hi one at full throttle.

Bob

6. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

i disagree with the above post .. to me it sounds like its running to fat. (rich) have you checked the air cleaner latley???

7. lawncare

lawncare LawnSite Member

Just had that problem a month ago caused by trash in carb,clean carb,blowout gas tank if you have a air compressor and adjust hi/lo screws as needed. Paid a guy 35 bucks to figure it out n 10 mins i watch so he want get that again. Also try this to prevent problem in the future if you have a snapper(robin engine) with the plastic strainer that sits in the gas tank before you fill up any equip pour you gas through strainer to catch all the trash your eyes cant see you'll be amaze at how much it catches and this should slow up problems and cut down on most carb problems on any engine. ill try to post a pic of strainer if you don't know what it looks like it cost about 4 bucks here but you'll save in the long run

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Also look at your muffler (spark arrestor) screen. It could be clogged.

9. lawncare

lawncare LawnSite Member

Forgot about muffler if screen is clog in muffler that means to much oil in your mix get a handheld torch and burn muffler and screen till it turn fire red and you will see the smoke is the oil burning off make sure u take muffler off of blower.

10. cnflawn

cnflawn LawnSite Member
    from tn

hi ed,
    it sounds like the low side jet is running lean. look at the carb turn the adjustment screw closest to the engine ccw 1/4 turn that should fix it. if the unit will run wot (wide open throttle) the screen in the exaust.and the high side of the carb are fine. this tends to happen from varnish building up on the low jet/needle as it is the smallest opening in the carb.
    jerald