Echo Line Feeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blue Ridge, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge LawnSite Member
    from 22903

I have an older (early 90's) Echo SRM something or other that I am getting fed up with. When I want it to feed by tapping it on the ground, it won't. Then it will feed whenever it feels like it.

Any ideas? Does it need a new head? Are there aftermarket heads that are more reliable?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Try a new head, that should work. Or maybe just a new trimmer! Nah, a new head should work, Good Luck

3. lotamow

lotamow LawnSite Member
    from Utah

I have a newer one that will do that occasionally, don't know if yours is the same problem or not, but mine is caused by the line getting pinched inside the spool.

I will tap it and no line comes out, but there is enough movement to release the locking mechanism in the head, then as I am running it the line will finally release and it will feed the line out unexpectedly.

Like I said mine is caused by not winding the line on the spool quite right and it gets hung up. I usually have this happen when I am in a hurry to reload a spool and don't take my time with it. This may be what you are seeing.

4. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge LawnSite Member
    from 22903

That is entirely possible. I keep forgetting which direction to wind it, too! Alot of times when I look at the head, the center is poking out a little, like it came out of its locked position.

5. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Mine will 'lock up' with the spool stuck down in the head. I have to use a channel lock pliers to turn/release it. I've noticed a build up of grass clippings and dirt around the ilets inside inside the head. I clean/scrap the crud out, check the line on the spool, reinstall and go back to work.

Also, sometimes the improperly wond line gets so hot (from friction), it will fuse itself to the line on the spool and not feed properly. You should be able to see this whn you open the spool.

Jim

6. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

purchase an echo pro head, they are about 25 bucks

7. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

On the bottom side of the spool there is an arrow that points to the direction of the wind I had the same problem and got a new head and it works great if you are unsure how to change the head which is very simple there is a hole under the head near the shaft that you insert a pin or phillips screwdriver and then turn the head on echos its righty loosey and lefty tighty lol

8. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

The spool on the Echo isn't very good I don't know about the new style head. The spool never stays locked up just sort of hangs kept on by the trimmer line. Of course you need to wind it the correct way. I always had problems with it getting stuck when using square line so Iv'e been using round line for years now, it costs less and cuts just as good as far as I'm concerned.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

If it has two lines running out of the head then one line is wound left and the other right .

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Got 20 Echo units in use all working fine. I believe if you have a standard head both lines are wrapped in the same direction according to the arrow. Don't overload the heads. And if you lock them in the notch they don't ever come off until they are worn out. Clean up the parts and lube them and that might help. Be sure the eyelets are not worn out, if they are replace the head. The generic head are around $20 and are equal to the ones from echo.
    Good Luck.