1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

echo or dolmar?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Proscapez LLC, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

I'm a die hard echo man, but my dealer is a new dolmar dealer and he is trying to push me towards dolmar products.
    I'm in disperate need of a new string trimmer.
    I love the new easy pulling echo's but he swears the dolmar is a much better unit and he is telling me he'll sell me a new echo for $229 or a dolmar for $239 both are straight shaft trimmers. He has also told me the dolmars will be over $400 next year.
    I know dolmar makes great chain saws used by many arborist.

What do you guys thinK?

Thank you!
  2. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Echo all the way.

Parts availability is much better and that it very important to me!
  3. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Since you have a Dolmar dealer that you like, you could demo a Dolmar for a week or so and if you like it you can by one. I really like the way my Echo 260 is balanced and it has enough power to do anything I need plus it been very reliable.

I think Dolmar saws are amazing and if their trimmers are as good as the saws you won’t go wrong.
    But will your dealer give you a loaner if he can’t get you parts in a reasonable time? If he can and it feels as good as the Echo then go for it!

Good luck!

4. jimmdenver

jimmdenver LawnSite Member

Go with dolmar. I've heard alot of good things about this company even though their not as widespread as echo.

Parts should not be an issue if you are located near the dealer.

I've had some terrible experiences with echo
  5. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC LawnSite Member

my dealer told me parts for dolmar have a 98% overnight delivery where Echo is about 85%.
    But I have never needed echo service before except i did replace fuel lines in one once.
    I did forget the Echo's are made in the USA and Dolmars are made in Germany,
  6. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

That's BS on the parts for Dolmar! One of the biggest reasons Dolmar/Makita are not bigger names and used by more landscapers is that you can't get parts for them. In most parts of the country there are no dealers if that tells you anything. Check out their web-site and you will see what I mean.....

BTW...Dolmar is owned by Makita.
  7. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to check some other sources about there delivery time, just to be on the safe side. And make him stand by the loaner if something should break! Until the parts arrive. Dolmar hasn’t had the best parts availability in the past but that may have changed. (They do make some wicked fast saws.)
  8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

dolmars are actually robins now. robin is a great product but echo is much eaiser to get parts/service for
  9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am really excited about the Dolmar products. I just bought two hedge trimmers and they are both light and very powerful. In my opinion the best bush trimmers I have ever owned, and I really liked my redmax trimmers. The Dolmars are much lighter which gives them an edge.

I think the small Dolmar trimmer would be dynomite, plus it is super light. Like it has been said, if the trimmers are anything like the chainsaws they will be outstanding. There are two Dolmar saws I would rather have then anything made by Stihl, Husky, or Jonsered. Dolmar Cut off saws are supposed to be amazing as well.

The local dealer is new to Dolmar but also claims next day delivery on any orders. I believe there is a distribution center in Northern IL. I know in the past parts were hard to come by, but being many of their products are identical to Makita I would think you parts readily.

I am sick of Echo. I had four Echo products die this year, and three in less then a month. I bought a 261t out of neccisity to run a bush trimmer attachment that I already owned, and to act as a weedwhip at other times and I am not impressed. My Kawasaki trimmers seem vastly superior in weight and power. I had read that the 261t's were heating up and burning guys, and true to the discussion I ran mine for about five minutes and the powerhead felt like it was ready to melt down. Heat....it's always good for an engine isn't it? :hammerhead: I don't forsee this unit lasting more then a year but we will see.

Ok, my vote is for the Dolmar or a Kawasaki if they are available.
  10. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Dolmar is not owned by Makita.

As far as parts go...we are a Makita dealer. The problem is...anything to do with outdoor power equipment, the parts come out of Atlanta so it takes longer. Anything to do with their electric tools comes from...I forget the name of the town now but northern IL. We do stock quite a few parts for the cut off saws since we see quite a few of the Makita and the Wacker saws...both are Dolmar's just in different colors :)

The saws are ok. We are not convinced on the single ring setup they have.

I have no clue on their trimmers though. If they are rebadged Robin products they are probably top notch. Robin makes very good stuff. If you have ever owned a polaris you probably know who Fuji Heavy Industries is :clapping: