1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo or Stihl? who is better

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LRM, Oct 21, 2007.

1. LRM

LRM LawnSite Member

I am buying some new equipement soon,and I need some advise. Thank you
  2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I have stihl blowers, chainsaws, hedge trimmer, and grass trimmers. I guess you can say that i like them? Great power/reliability. I havn't used echo, but i can tell you stihl is my choice.
  3. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had both. I used to run nothing but Echo. However, due to their non adjustable carbs and having multilpe problems with their newer products, I went with Stihl on all of my handhelds. That was 4 months ago and no problems since.
  4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

You cant tell by looking?
  5. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

between those two brands i would definately get the stihl. but as far as the echo blowers go, they cant be killed. weedeaters,stihls are better. dont have any hands on experience with the 4 mix blowers from stihl but the br420 are unstoppable,they'll run so long that you'll be wanting it to die so you;l'll have an excuse to buy a new one.
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Every poll I've seen Stihl came out on top. By far. So Stihl is the #1 trusted name for commercial use. The only instance I've seen a close race was in a poll for back back blowers where Red Max gave them a run for the money.
  7. fishmagnet

fishmagnet LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I like 'em both!

Stihl & Echo both make great, reliable and durable trimmers and blowers, though for chainsaws, Stihl definitely gets the nod.

We use Echo SRM260 and a Stihl 110 trimmers and both have been solid as a rock.....thus far. :usflag:
  8. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

Stihl is the more solid built of the two. IMO. Stihl is a German company and to me any machine with a german maker is superior. I am not German but have great respect for their machinery.

I have an Echo backpack and a Stihl backpack, the Echo needs repair about twice as much as my Stihl.

Whatever you do I think it is important to buy machines in the same series so that in a pinch you can trade parts from one machine to another, If you break a starter rope of something like that.
  9. Southern Signature

Southern Signature LawnSite Member

Stihl All The Way
  10. The Cutting Edge Lawn Car

The Cutting Edge Lawn Car LawnSite Member

I agree, Stihl is the way to go, and i dont know about this BR 420, must be something new? Def. try out the BR 600 blower, the most powerful out of anything else..