1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMachine102, Mar 29, 2005.

1. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to ask a quick question, What do you think about the NEW echo SRM-261T High Torque Trimmer? And about ECHO equipment in general, are they as good as STIHL? I have used STIHL for a few years, and I love their equipment, light and powerful! But now since they no longer make the FS-85 due to emissions, I am in search of a trimmer that can match or excede the FS85 as far as light weight, power, economy, and just all around ease of use and quality. What trimmer do you recommend? I have narrowed it down to 2 trimmers the STIHL FS-100RX and the ECHO SRM-261T. Any other trimmer recomendations?

OH and, I dont want to spend more than 400.00.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the stihl of the ones you listed. echo has gone WAY down in quality!
  3. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I disagree. I have the Echo SRM-260s, and I love it. Its light and next to no vibration. I have a Stihl FS-80. Guess which one gets used?
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you are interesting in using the trimmer to cut about a 24" path then Echo SRM161 is the machine. I was involved with the prototype testing and it is a screamer!! With the adjustable carb on these units you can keep this unit running at top rpm cold or hot. Echo essentially slowed down the head to get the torque and this was a VERY good idea.
  5. PLM-1

I believe I have the same trimmer (would have to look). Mine is out of commission 40% of the time. It is not reliable at all. It will work all morning then all of a sudden it just quits. The dealer says nothing is ever wrong. I guess it just runs like that, or lack there of!!! And if that isn't the problem it's the exhaust all stopped up. Maybe i just got a lemon!
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

RedMax is better than both
  7. PLM-1

Just checked...it is the same trimmer...
  8. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

i would agree redmax is the best but i do not like redmax or stihl heads the echo is way easier and faster to string. i wouldnt waste my money on stihl i would go for the echo.