1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo or Stihl

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Barony, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Barony

Barony LawnSite Member

For Weedeaters, which is better of the two?:)
  2. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

Ford vs. Chevy kind of thing.

My dad has an Echo that has been noting but great, I hve a Stihl I can say the same thing about. Don't overlook Redmax either, I've heard nothing but good about them though I've yet to own or run anything from them. I'm kinda stuck on Stihl.
  3. GriffinLawnService

GriffinLawnService LawnSite Member

personaly I am stuck on stihl
  4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

You can't go wrong with either one. Personally I had some trouble with Stihl (more of a dealer issue) when I first started out in this biz and switched over to Echo. But honestly right now I don't prefer one over the other, key is to maintain the equipment best as you can and make sure you have good dealer support. Either one should give you years of good service.

5. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I Have an echo srm-260 and Stihl fs-90.

they both fire up right away
    the stihl takes a while to reach full rpm
    the echo always shocks me
    the echo has chronic broken triggers
    the stihl is a gas hog
    the stihl was about $30 more then the echo

Maybe next time I will try a Shindaiwa.

Back to your question, they both work the same and are very reliable. Neither one has ever left me hanging...
  6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer Echo products over stihl. There are more echo dealers in my aera than stihl dealers. My father bought a stihl chain-saw and when he had problems (under warranty) it took over a month to get it back. He has since switched to echo and redmax products because there are many dealers around us for both brands.

Because of his problems with stihl, I don't even bother with them personally! JMO
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The Echo SRN 230 and 261T are solid machines, they are still fully 2 stroke with adjustable carb. The Echo is also very easy to service and parts are pretty easy to get.
  8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We've had echo line trimmers...notice the had. Things only lasted a season and it was time for the next one. Can't remember the model numbers off the top of my head...they weren't the home ripoff models. Since moved over to the redmax line trimmers and absolutely luv em. Knock on wood no problems. Only downfall is letting it warm up first job.

We have two stihls. One is an FS83 with a edger attachment, chainsaw attachment, and hedgetrimmer attachment. Thing runs like a charm. On the other hand we just bought a stihl edger (w/ curved shaft). Had to bring it back within the firsdt two weeks cause on/off switch wasn't working. Get it back only to return it last week cause the thing will start for the first job but once you turn it off thats it, can't get it started until it sits for a few hours. Frustrating.

On the other hand, we have both redmax and echo blowers. We prefer the echo 650 over the redmax 8000, hands down. We've had problems with getting the redmaxs started. The echos are 5 and 6 (?) years old and still start 1st/2nd pull.

Bottomline, we prefer redmax line trimmers over echo and echo blowers over redmax. Stihl we love our fs83 but are not happy at all with the stick edger.

did i help any:confused: :confused: :confused:
  9. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

All of my handheld equipment is stihl & have had good luck with them, but I hear nothing but bad about the new 4 mix line I would recommend stihl just make sure it's not 4 mix
  10. Jaeger

Jaeger LawnSite Member

I prefer Echo myself. Like a good watch, always works, always starts.
    Watch for Tanaks and Robins. They are relative sleepers but very commercial none the less.
    Honda is King.