Echo or Stihl ??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DowntoEarth, Jan 31, 2004.

1. DowntoEarth

DowntoEarth LawnSite Member

I'm getting ready to purchase a Stihl 420 backpack blower, a Sthil FC 75 Stick Edger and a similar engine size Sthil String Timmer. I have a small/medium size residential lawn service.

Am I looking at the right equipment or should I go with Echo?

I know their are lots of brands out their but these 2 are the big ones in my area.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I started with Stihl and "stihl" love them.
    Don't get the FC75 edger, spend the few extra $$ and get the FC85. Better head and straight shaft.
    The FS85 have been my workhorses. I have one with close to 3000 hours on it and still runs like a champ and used as front line trimmer, not backup.
    The new 4-mix FS110's are out and I will probably start switching to them this year, but the 85's are still great for starting out.
    The Stihl BP blowers are very reliable and good. Only problem is they are not all that powerful. If all you want is to blow grass off driveways then they do great. The same size blowers in echo do the same. Although echo does have a much stronger blower in the 650 and 750 line. The BR420 are not the monster blowers like some of others do carry, but they are good blowers. I have a Stihl and its a backup now. I run the Redmax 7000 and 7001's.
  3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

There both great brands, you would do well with either one of them. I use the Echo equipment but thats not to say it's any better it's just what i prefer to use.

Most people seem to buy their equipment due to their preference to one brand or another, dealer locations, quality and price. If you don't have a preference to either brand then price out the equipment for both brands and buy the one that will save you a few dollars.
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I prefer stihl myself but it is alot like the ford/ chevy/dodge debate, my best advice is to check out the dealers in your area and see which one has the best customer service in case you do have a problem. When you are broke down and grass is growin you arent makin money and you are getting behind. good luck this year
  5. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

You will love the 110's. We started swithing to them last year. Only thing you need to be warned about is that at around 100 hours you have to take them in to have the head gasket replaced and the valves adjusted. Part of the break in process. Do not take them in early for this. Wait until you notice a drop in power. This is just for the first 100 hrs. not every 100 hrs.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Head gaskets replaced? Really? I knew about the valves, but the head gaskets?

Is that for the heads to seat correctly and never again? Or is that something that every few years will need to be done?
  7. Avery

Yep. It is a break-in/seating issue. Not supposed to have to do it again. Just picked one of mine up today after the work. Runs as good as new. The dealer did say again not to bring in the other ones until they started to lose power.
  8. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Do you hafta pay for it??
  9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Wells I think you hit the nail right on the head
    We run both Echo and Stihl but I do like the Echo backpacks better they have more power.Seems like the Stihl weedeaters last longer.
  10. Avery

Yep. I am afraid so. Not too costly though.