Echo PAS 260 trimmer really hot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grassrootz, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Grassrootz

Grassrootz LawnSite Member

I have a Echo PAS 260 trimmer which gets extremely hot... After running this machine for 10 - 15 minutes it gets too hot to touch anywhere near the head or cone part of the powerhead. I also have a 230 and it seems to be fine; not near the same heat.

My 260 gets to hot to rest the top of the head on your elbow area if you know what I am talking about.

Any suggestions as to what the cause is, or is it normal for it to get this hot?

Ps. there is not discoloration around the head or unusual noises.
  2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Check rpm's maybe.
  3. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

Mine gets somewhat hot to touch, but not nearly like that.....It would have to be the Carb.
  4. clc2003

clc2003 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ia

I have the same unit. My trimmer seems to get a little warm while i am resting arm on top of motor. it is a little uncomfortable but tollerable
  5. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

I have a SRM260 and also have a burn mark near my elbow. After about 10 minutes of trimming it burns like heck!!
  6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

You have to learn Not To Rest Your Arm on the 260...It Gets Hot!...Design Flaw....Or it could be a Good Thing....
  7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

If you run without a trimmer guard and have the string longer thne normal, it will get very hot. Not likekly the best thing for the unit, but I can't stand the guards.