Echo PAS-265 attachment series review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Jun 18, 2008.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Well this will be short for right now. It just came today along with the articulating hedge trimmer and the edger attachment. I tried both for just a couple minutes.

The PAS265 with the articulating hedge trimmer is VERY heavy (and I am a big guy). This thing has alot of reach and works very good. The blades cut through hedges like a hot knife through butter. I like being able to angle the head for those tricky places. It is very well balanced.

The PAS265 with the edger head is heavy but no more than any Stihl I have ever used. Even though the power head is not broken in yet I can already tell this unit is VERY strong. The power head has a unique tone to the exhaust. It is quieter than any Echo I have ever used.

Once I get a chance to really use it I will update this post with my thoughts. As of right now I can say it is heavy and it is very powerful and starts very easy. I think we are going to like this unit alot except for the weight.

PAS265 shipped to my door $279
    Articulating trimmer attachment $258
    Edger attachment $95

Next attachments will be the pole saw and trimmer

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I will be getting one soon. My old echo is tired after 8 years of faithful service to me and my dad. I will be getting the articulating hedge clipper and power pruner too. Sounds like echo built another good piece of equipment.

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Did I mention that its heavy? :laugh:

The tolerances in these new engines are super tight. It has a ton of power already after only 10 minutes of run time. I can only immagine what its going to be like after 2 tank fulls.:)

4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I too have the pas265. I got it new a couple of weeks ago. I have the trimmer, tiller and hedge trimmer

The trimmer will go thru anything. The hedge trimmer is heavy but great.

I discovered a tip for the tiller. For some reason, the tiller, when used properly doesn't do that great of a job. One day, I flipped it over and magically it did a phenomenal job. I mean it became a new piece of equipment.

When soil is good, it can be used properly, but when the dirt is hard and scarce, its upside down or nothing else.

Disclaimer: Gotta be careful using it upside down or you could be sacked when it rolls towards you. OUCH.

5. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I have the tiller to and the only thing I use it for is to turn my dads compost pile. It works great for that but I tried to culitvate a bed with it and it would not break the gorund. I spent $50 on a rental tiller for that job. I will have to try flipping it over.

6. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Honestly, I HATED the tiller until I flipped it over. I thought it was a design flaw at first. Guaranteed.....in a short period of time, they will come out with something that will alllow it to be used upside down. It has made me a believer and 1 other company that HATED it also tried it flipped and were very impressed.

It takes LESS EFFORT and you just have to lightly bounce it off the ground and it will break ground easily.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got four of them mainly for trimming hedges but newer option like the SHC-212 is lighter and guys are more productive. I don't like the edger at all it simply won't work for us and definitely not going to even try tiller(didn't know they had one). The plastic sleaves and sparcer wear out in the main unit then cable start breaking....took me a while to figure out what I needed to replace.

8. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you saying you got four PAS-265 or are you talking about the older version?

9. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

The hedge trimmer feel heavy, indeed. This is due mostly to the extra long reach it has.
    I had to hedge for two full days and this thing killed my arms and shoulders.

The power pruner works great. I had to cut some pretty big limbs of a tree today (about 6" or 7" dia.) and it went through them easily.

The trimmer works great as well, I do most of my trimming at low rpm but when I have to go through thick grass, I hit full throttle and the thing goes right through it. :cool2:

10. SILVERSTREAK INC

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

ive broken every articulating hedge trimmer attachment ive gotten for my pas-260 (3 now) and prolly the heaviest thing i cut thru is saw grass, the gear set in the swivel keep going bad

ive had my straight (non articulating) attachement on there for 3 years now and no probs other than occasional sharpening

i als have the trimmer head so i use it as a backup weedwacker when i gotta