Echo PAS Series! Feedback wanted

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by southerntide, May 17, 2014.

1. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

I went from quick change to speed feed cuts my time down about 25-30% love it sadly be going to sthil now since my gravely dealer I had issues with not doing business with him anymore, Echo was there as well so now I bought a Deere probably switch to Sthil's unless this other place about 20miles from me is a dealer, it was not clear just showed up on map.

2. chachi1984

chachi1984 LawnSite Member

Speed feed is good if you put the line through the hole then wind it up. If you reload by taking the head apart then it can be a pain and you spend more time screwing around with the head
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Only person to do this would be the one who threw the directions away.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Why can't you have speed feeds on your Stihls? I buy the big Oregons with adaptors to fit most any brand.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. stonny9

stonny9 LawnSite Member

I have had the PAS 225 for about 2 years initially had the trimmer w/speed feed head and edger that I got in the package deal. A few months later I bought the hedge trimmer. A couple months ago I bought the chain saw attachment. I use it on 3 yards a week totaling about 2 acres. I have had to replace the primer bulb once and shortly after I got it I lost the big "T" nut and had to buy another one. It doesnt have a stopper to keep it from unthreading all of the way.

Since I changed the original plug, air filter, and fuel filter a few months ago it doesnt want to rev up when cold. Bogs down when revving until warmed up.

Only thing I dont like is I use one finger on the trigger and it is hard to pull. One of these days I am gonna see if a spring can be swapped out.

6. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone use the stihl fs100rx? I held it the other day at the dealer and it seemed lighter than my srm-225. I bought a trimmer attachment for my PAS-266 and man that thing is a heavy *****. It's going to be my backup trimmer. My concern about the stihl is that it's a 4 stroke and has valves and all that crap to get messed up. Is the stihl reliable or will it be a pos after 2 years of everyday use?

7. beaureguard

beaureguard LawnSite Member

I bought 2 2 summers ago. My guys were using the PAS280 and complained they were too heavy. They noticed an immediate difference. They work very well. They start extremely easy. 1 is used mostly in cemeteries. The largest yard keeps it running for 8 hours in just 1 day.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Ready to Mow

Ready to Mow LawnSite Bronze Member

It think the weight was affecting my ability to keep it steady too. I guess i'll give the stihl a try why not? It's $50 bucks cheaper than the 280.

9. KB Lawn Care

KB Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have a dedicated string trimmer and I have the Pas 225. I use it as my edger most of the time. I got the brush cutting attachment in a box deal, thinking I'd rarely use it but it has been very handy. I have the pole saw as well. They both work great. It is nice because I rarely have someone working with me, but if I do I can set up a new trimmer in a couple minutes. I have used them for one season pretty heavily with no complaints.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. TheNewbee

TheNewbee LawnSite Member

So other than price and the line head, is Stihl about the same quality as Echo? I'm looking at Echo cause it's cheap and seems to be really good quality.