Echo PAS Versus Stihl FS 85rt

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wildbilly1113, Feb 4, 2002.

1. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy either aEcho PAS or Stihl FS 85 RT.I have echo and stihl string trimmers.Ilike them both.I want to get articulating hedgetrimmers and power pruner attachements.I did a search to compare the two but came up with nothing. Has anyone used both?Your input would be greatly appreciated! Lawnsite Rules!

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I have the FS 85 R and love it. With it you have a more rugged design since it has the steel shaft and gearhead style attachments. An new edger is also availible for '03 along with all the other attachments. The down side to using it as a multi-tool would be that there is a little more involved in changing attachments.

I used to have a split boom Ryobi with several attachments that held up very well. The coupler and shaft never gave me any trouble. The engine just croaked after 2 yrs of multi purpose commercial use. I had a bunch of attachments and it got so much use I just wore the engine out.

So that being said, I'm thinking of just using the FS 85 for trimming and picking up and FS 85 RT or Echo PAS to run attachments on. Either that or I'll get the attachments for the FS 85 and pick up a new trimmer. That brings up something else I need to post a question about but I won't mention now.

I'm not sure yet which way I'll go. But either way, split-boom, gearhead, Stihl or Echo, you really can't go wrong I don't think from my experience.

By the way, Redmax, Shindawia and Husqvarna also offer split-booms.

3. Thompson Lawns

Thompson Lawns LawnSite Member
    from OK

I have used the FS 85 RT with the pruner attachment and the tiller does an excellent job. I also run the HT75 pole saw, same just alot heavier. Have had zero problems and have used it alot.
    and on the plus side the FS 85 RT is great for pruning the shorter limbs than a pole saw. Easier on the back.

Larry Thompson

4. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Pas-260 with the hedge and string trimmer, very happy with it.. Never used the Stihl, but either way is a good choice. Changing attachments for the Pas- 260 is quick.. Check them both out with others out on the market..

Lou

5. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I have the FS85RT with pole saw and trimmer attachments, I really like it. Plan on getting the edger and hedger attachments too, that way I'll have a back-up for every 2 cycle {except bp blower} with me all the time, at a fraction of the cost and taking up little storage space compared to buying an extra dedicated trimmer, stick edger, hedge trimmer. Plus the attachments work just as good as dedicated tools and take 2 seconds to change.

6. I use the Echo pas system and my uncle uses the stihl system. We both have good luck, the power sources are still holding up, but the stihl don't last against my uncles workers. Just something to think about.

John

7. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

COOL! :angel: Thanks for answering this thread one year later! Good things come to those who wait! I ended up buying the stihl 85rt. I got the saw and articulating hedge clipper,both work great but hedge clipper is tireing after long periods. I am going to get the cross shoulder harness to see if that helps. have a mix of stihl and echo handhelds,stihl 80 and 85rt trimmers,stihl 029 chainsaw,stihl 55 blower-vac and stihl fs80 single side hedge clippers.(Who said you can"t do a good trim job with a single side) In echo I have 2601 trimmer (sweet) and 24ln blower and 650 backpack (Made me alot of money in all this snow doing steps and sidewalks in freshly fallen snow,if there's a better blower I don't know about it!) I've got the best of both worlds! Thank You! Lawnsite and Exmark Rules! ':angel:

8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have the Stihl FS85 with the Sythe attachment, power pruner, articulating hedge trimmer, and just got a broom attachment for it on eBay for $100. I've got th trimmer head that it came with, but never have used it.