Echo PB-2100 won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Gomboman, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Gomboman

Gomboman LawnSite Member

I bought a used PB-2100 from someone recently. It ran pretty good but the carb primer bulb was cracked. I replaced the primer bulb but now I can't get it to start. It's not even close to firing. I thought maybe I fouled a plug from all the cold starting so I replaced it. Still no luck.

I did notice that there was a thin clear gasket that was hard to position when I replaced the primer bulb. I've tried re-positioning it several times but I still can't get it to start. Any suggestions before I take it in to the shop?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I believe the primer plate is position sensitive you might take a look at that but I doubt if that is the problem. I guess you tried some starter fluid in the carb? You have checked to be sure you have spark? Put a little 2 stroke oil in the spark plug hole that will give you more suction to pull fuel? Don't put a lot or you can't pull it over.

3. Gomboman

Gomboman LawnSite Member

Damn, put everything back together again and it looks fine. I'm getting fuel and spark. I can't get it to fire even with starter fluid. The paper thin clear gasket that I was concerced with is the Pump gasket. The gasket doesn't look torn but it's hard to install correctly. I wonder if I should try to replace it? Do they make them is steel?

I took the blower to my local shop today and they said it would be about $110 to get it running. I went to another shop and they said it would be $80 plus a carb rebuild if needed. It's not worth $110 or $80 to me so I might throw it in the trash soon.

Thanks for the help.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes the high cost at the shops is the reason I do 85% of our repairs in our business. I have stuck with Echo because they seem a little easier to repair. I would take a carb off one of my other units to debug this type of situation. A new carb would cost you about $50 but hard to say that is your problem. If the unit has a lot of wear on it the seals on the crankshaft could be worn out and those aren't hard to replace but a shop would charge around $50. I pick up around one trimmer a month from the trash pile at the dealer where I do business just for parts. He charges me a few dollars. A lot of people take them in and when they get the estimate to repair they buy a new one and let the old unit at the dealer.