1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo PB 250 blower carb adjustment tool

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Grassmangrass, Sep 18, 2012.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

I have 4 or 5 adjustment tools...some of the cheapest made tools in my box..
    Couldn't cost 10 cents to make in china or sri lanka...This whole emissions deal is just a smokescreen to get you to pay $75 hr to adjust the screws on a $100 trimmer...seen the polar icecaps lately..?...I just hope the seafloors don't release all that methane gas on the same day...the dinosaurs didn't like it either...

Buy the tool..use it once ...and throw it in your toolbox...it'll blend right in..
    Still takes me a minute or 2 of digging in my box to find the right carb tool..
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, those are the hot lick. Most of the later echo use the small D ( called the long D ) in the pic.
    I would grab em while ya can.
    I've dealt with McHenry before, a tad slow on shipping, but everything they sent was as described.
  4. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Most carbs can be adjusted with one of these:

$25 for all 4 tools, not $50 for one.

If that doesn't work, you can take a electrical wire butt connector, jam it on the end of a small phillips screwdriver and push it on the carb adjustment screw head. The wire butt connector is soft metal and the carb screw is hardened metal, so the butt connector will mold itself to the carb screw splines. Butt connectors for different size wire gauges will allow you to fit them on various screws.

Another alternative is to cut slots in the screw heads with a dremel, then use a flat blade screwdriver.
  5. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

They ain't gonna work on his unit. You get the two tools for 50 bucks, the one he needs is the skinny D shaped one.
    Yeah, all kinds of makeshift stuff works, but if yer gonna do it more than once...
  6. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know what you're saying Fish, but it sounds like he is a guy with a single machine to adjust, not a full time mechanic like you.
  7. roody2333

roody2333 LawnSite Senior Member

like dboyd said, maybe you can take the carb out, stick it in a vice or something and grind small slots in the heads with a dremel cutting wheel so a flat head screwdriver works. I did this a few times works great. Since the tips of the heads are probably recessed into the carb housing, you'll probably have to grind right though that but it might not cause a problem.

One advantage of the specialty tools is they don't jiggle around like a screwdriver when the machine is running and you're trying to tune it, but if you make the screwdriver slits nice and deep and possibly grind down your screwdriver thickness a little bit, it tends to not jiggle out of the groove you grinded.
  8. TimTim2008

TimTim2008 LawnSite Bronze Member

found this for $5 on ebay.
  9. Wacker Mechanic

Wacker Mechanic LawnSite Senior Member

Just picked up a nice Echo 250 handheld blower that requires a very small spline adjustment tool. The unit was only used one season. Looks brand new. I have no intention of changing the settings on the screws. I just want to remove them so I can clean out the jets, then replace them to the original factory setting. It seems that in an effort to prevent people from adjusting these screws, the EPA has made it so that we can no longer perform simple maintenance tasks to our equipment, encouraging a more disposable society. I know this kind of thread already exists, but I have to vent. How many different carb screws are they going to make? It seems to me that the EPA is not satisfied with the slow deterioration of our environment and instead wants to destroy it at a much faster pace.
    I remember many stories from my parents and grandparents about how people would fix things rather than dispose of them. They would bring toaster ovens to a repair shop. Every town had a shoe maker. To me, that's what makes sense. Today we just have landfills instead. I thought by pulling this unit out of someone's trash can, I was going to save it from the landfill. But the EPA clearly wants it there. What a crime.
  10. Wacker Mechanic

Wacker Mechanic LawnSite Senior Member

I was able to fix the blower without ever touching the screws. So if anyone else has a similar problem, here is what worked... SEAFOAM. Tons and tons of SEAFOAM. If you run enough of it through the carb, it will clean the jets below the adjustment screws. I sure hope Seafoam is not bad for the environment!
    It dawned on me what people are doing. They buy these units, use them for a short time, then return them. Can't blame them considering they only work for a very short time. Now I know why the local Home Depot has just as many reconditioned units as they have new ones!