Echo PB-400e blower, no spark

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by abburns, Sep 2, 2006.

1. abburns

abburns LawnSite Member

I am troubleshooting a recent problem with my Echo PB-400e (serial 224581) where it won't start. There is no spark to the plug. I have put in a new plug and still no spark. I suspect that it is the ignition coil or the CDI module. Since each of these are expensive to replace I need to determine how to test each one? Anyone know how to test the CDI and the coil or if there are other things to check?

Thank you

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Before you make a decision that the CDI is bad, unhook the kill lead from the coil, then check for spark at the plug. If you then have spark you most likely a bare wire grounding out in the kill leads. I believe there is test equipment out there to test CDI paks but the cost is almost prohibitive from what I have investigated.

Dutch

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Check for the grounding issues stated by Dutch first, but then I would suspect the main coil or the one closest to the flywheel because I have never replaced the external coil on the PB400's except for when customers have broken the wires coming out of it.

4. mowerman48

mowerman48 LawnSite Member

On some of the Two Stroke Engines the Flywheel, can go bad causing no spark. It has something to do with loss of magnetism, I beleive. Good Luck

5. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

:confused: Could you give an example of this? I have to say this pretty far from likely, now I am not saying its impossible but, I have worked on pretty much every major brand of 2 cycle equipment in a commercial shop spanning over 10yrs and NEVER once have I replaced a flywheel except for a sheared flywheel key.

I am not trying to shoot your response down I just think I need to hear an example to store in my brain file:hammerhead: