Echo PB 400E dying

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brucec32, Mar 15, 2004.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have an older PB 400 blower that I keep around as a backup, but it's become so unreliable it's not even good for that. The main symptom is that it will crank, run very strong for a minute, then start to lose power, surge back a little, then eventually die out.

It has a fairly new carb on it. Has been cleaned recently. Plenty of fuel in tank. Seems to get a good spark. Air cleaner is new.

I suspect it's some sort of problem with the fuel delivery from the tank to the carb, but I don't know much about these engines. This unit doesn't seem to have a seperate fuel tank vent, or does it? Is a a vacum somehow preventing fuel from flowing?

Any ideas?

PS....anyone know a good book on 2 cycle troubleshooting that gives real-world tips. I'm sure some of this stuff is simple once you've seen it.

2. LAWNPRO2

LAWNPRO2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

HI BRUCES32
    HI I HAD THE SAME THING WITH MY HUSQVARNA BLOWER
    WHAT KIND OF GAS DO YOU RUN IN IT (87)(89)(93).
    MOST 2 CYCLE HAVE TO RUN (93) IN IT
    TRY THAT AND LET MY KNOW.

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't think that's it. It ran for nearly 10 years on regular grade unleaded with few problems. I think it has something to do with fuel starvation.

4. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

First, I'd check the vent for the gas tank. If it's not that, I'd check the crankshaft seals. When they get old, they dry out and crack. It'll run briefly while it burns the heavy fuel when first started then dies because it's sucking too much air through the cracked seal(s) around the ends of the cankshaft. There's one on each side of the engine. Might be worth checking out.

5. snowman181955

snowman181955 LawnSite Member

check your spark arrester screen on your muffler they get plugged with carbon

6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

The fuel tank vent is in the gas cap. Try unscrewing the cap about half way and see how it runs. Also try playing with the choke and see if it runs. make sure the choke plate isnt worn out allowing the choke to slip closed. also check the fuel filter, its in the tank, connected to the fuel line. And as someone already said, check the spark arrestor screen in the muffler and the muffler itself to make sure it isnt clogged.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

My guess is the carb diaphram, bad gas or dirty fuel filter. Chuck the gas, change the filter and if still surging clean carb fuel circuits and change diaphram. A warboro kit is about $12.00