Echo PB 400e won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brucec32, Dec 7, 2005.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have an old Echo blower that was running ok and then put into reserve and not started for about a year. I just need a blower that can be used once a week or so on a property I have elsewhere. It is not cranking now and I'd welcome any help I can get diagnosing the problem. It's 10 years old but was used only half the time by myself so the hours aren't what they might be on a heavily used unit.

1. It puts out a spark that seems healthy. I also replaced and regapped the plug to spec.

2. Air cleaner is a newer one.

3. The carb was replaced a few years back but has minimal hours on it since it was just a backup unit. It ran pretty good after replacement, so I assume its settings are ok.

4. New fuel strainer installed.

5. It will run for a few seconds after I spray a little fuel in the cylinder. That makes me think it is a fuel supply problem. The rubber tubing is mostly original and this unit is 10 years old. Could it be a vaccum problem getting fuel up to the engine? Do I need to remove and visually inspect them all or is there a quicker way?

6. I have a compression tester but don't know what spec to look for.

Any ideas?
  2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Start by replacing fuel lines, I know on older stihl bp blowers they will shrink and cut off fuel. Secondly just because the carb was replaced recently doesnt mean it is still any good. Do fuel lines then give it a try, if no go, dissassemble and clean carb. There is a fuel strainer inside one of the blocks that will get varnished and will need to be soaked/sprayed out with carb cleaner. Hope this helps.
  3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Also, in addition to that, you may need to replace the gaskets inside the carb, as they tend to harden and become stiff with age.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Put a little oil into the spark plug hole can help get a little more vac. The use starter sprayed into the carb to see if it can be made to start and run. The seals on the cranshaft on both sides could be hardened and not longer sealing the cylinder. Start by taking off the rope side down to the seal and see if that one is okay and in place then do the other side. Also clean out the exhaust ports.
  5. jud149

jud149 LawnSite Member

Be sure to use fresh gas after cleaning the carb. If it's year old gas you are using, that may be the problem.
  6. mark lagasse

mark lagasse LawnSite Member

Also check the exhaust to make sure no wasps have built a nest in there.
  7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

put it in a box and sent it to me. I will add it to my fleet of PB-400e. I love those blowers. :)

Pretty much do what has been suggested.
  8. Jim Buessing

Jim Buessing LawnSite Member

Its a fuel related problem. Set with fuel in it for a year. You need to get a Walbro K10-WAT carb rebuild kit. Replace all fuel lines and filters and rebuild the carb. This should get you back running. Good Luck!
  9. Jim Buessing

Jim Buessing LawnSite Member

By the way minimum psi on all 2 cycle units is 90psi for the engine to run.
  10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

thanks for the helpful replies. I'll take a look at it first chance I get and see what happens.