1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo PB-413, Stihl BR380

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Shopkeeper, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

I went to one of my local dealers today and asked him to show me what he thought would be a good blower for my intended 12-15 accounts a week. He mentioned both of these.

Echo - $300

Stilh - $380

Anyone have any experience with these and what do you suggest that I buy? I'm leaning towards the echo for price and cfm reasons.
  2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

That model Echo doesn't push 800 cfm's, its about half that. It's a good blower though, great for sidewalks and driveways but if you have alot of leaves to do I suggest either an Echo 620 or 755. Russopowerequip.com has the 755 for only $399 which is a GREAT PRICE!!!!
  3. Shopkeeper

Shopkeeper LawnSite Member

I am not calling you a liar by any means and I'm certaintly not saying you're wrong, but the tag on the blower most definately listed the name and specs and it said 800cfm. Any explanation?
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'd bet that 800 is without tubes, I haven't a clue why mfg's list them like that.

Tip: I always do a google for "brand + model + cfm" to make sure.
    In this case it would be "echo pb-413 cfm" (without the quotes).
    The first results isn't always the best, usually have to check 2-3 results together to make sure you get the right facts.

So: http://www.google.com/search?client...=s&hl=en&q=Echo+PB-413+cfm&btnG=Google+Search

Egine Displacement 44 cc.
    Ignition Type Pro-Fire� Electronic
    Carburetor Type Diaphragm w/Purge Pump
    Fuel Capacity 64 fl. oz.
    Average Air Volume* (pipe) 380 cfm
    Average Air Volume** (housing) 800 cfm
    Max. Air Speed* 175 mph
    dB(A)^ 71
    Dry Weight+ 19.8 lbs.
    C.A.R.B. Dry Weight+ 20.7 lbs. +++
    Consumer Warranty 5 yrs.
    Commercial Warranty 2 yrs.
    Rental Warranty 90 days

Then, a google for Stihl br-380 cfm turns up:
    DISPLACEMENT 56.5 cc (3.44 cu.in.)
    ENGINE POWER 2.5 kW (3.55 bhp)
    WEIGHT 9.3 kg (20.5 lbs.)
    FUEL CAPACITY 1500 cc (50.7 oz.)
    With tubes: 790 m3/h (465 cfm)
    Without tubes:1230 m3/h (724 cfm)
    AIR VELOCITY 81 m/sec. (181 mph)
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

btw watch out for that m3/h crap too :laugh:

That would be cubic meters per hour, which there's about 10 cubic feet in one cubic meter and there are 60 minutes in an hour, arg it's just too much, stick with cfm's, they're always used in the USA.

As a rule of thumb for speed I go with 190-200mph (w/ tubes cfm) exclusively.
    If it ain't got at least 190mph then it ain't a grand blower anyhow, but there's so much math to do with constant changes of mph + cfm's that unless I stick to some standard I can never get it straight.

So, 200mph first, give that to me, ok 190 fine, 201 ok, but I wants 200 mph dang straight.
    Then the cfm's w/ tubes only, forget the w/out tubes or housing volume, I have never once used a blower without tubes, maybe I'm weird ok. Then you get used to it and you stand a chance in this war of facts, takes time but after a few years I can tell you what 600 cfm's at 200 mph will do, basically, yes w/ tubes.

That to me was the biggest hurdle, once I realized 200mph w/ tubes + cfm was the ticket to sanity it became easier, far as backpacks and push blower comparisons go anyhow.
  6. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member