1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo PB 610 --- Piece of crap!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jlbf0786, Apr 26, 2010.

1. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

I bought a used Echo PB610 backpack blower, non-commercial use.

this thing is a "piece of shi%" seriously... I have never like Echo products, and now i know why!

It bogs down at full-thottle, very weak when it does run at full-throttle..
    supposed to be a 58.2 cc Power Boost Tornado engine
    "yeah right" tornado engine.

Can anyone tell me how to get this piece of junk running like a 58.2 cc engine would run on any other blower?
  2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Check the compression--should be in the neighborhood of 120. Pull the muffler and check on the condition of the jug and piston. Buying used is always a gamble--sometimes you win and sometimes you loose. If everything is on the up and up with the above, perform the normal service items--plug, air and fuel filter replace/clean. Then proceed with carb adjustments as needed.
  3. 24v6spd

24v6spd LawnSite Senior Member

I have had great luck with Echo blowers. Sounds like your spark arrestor screen could be plugged, remove it from muffler and clean.
  4. jlbf0786

Male, from Charlotte, NC

I dont have a compression gauge, i was going to buy one not long ago but
    never got around to it?
    I know harborfreight has them cheap, but other than the compression..
    i checked the muffler, theres not arrestor in it.. this model muffler is the same as the stihl br420's i believe..
    but its already had all the basic services performed.. and the carb is brand new with the limiter caps still on the H+ and L- jets.
    Ive also got the old carb that the guy took off, i was thinking of replacing it w/ the old carb just incase he tried to adjust the new one and didnt mention it.

i might just try to sell it and buy another stihl br420, love to have another Redmax8000
  5. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Die you check the exhaust port for carbon build up? Anytime an engine starts but doesn't rev up--exhaust port is the 1st thing I check.

I've had very good luck with Echo--most of it used!!
  6. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

throw the spark arrestor away and get a new fuel filter
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You almost can't go wrong on these units.....I get them from our dealer and rebuild them. Got to have good bearing and seals on the crank and a new carb repair kit and you are good to go. Sometimes I replace all the gaskets when it is torn apart. The bearing behind the recoil eventually goes on all these units.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It might not be the most powerful unit but these things are to be expected
    when buying used, probably just needs some TLC and attention, gtg.
  9. jlbf0786

Male, from Charlotte, NC

Its got more engine power than a stihl BR420, "according" to the specs from the factory.. but isnt half as powerful..

Maybe its just the Maple Helicopter Seeds that are harder to get up than regular leaves. Quite heavy this year!
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

There is not a bit of difference in these two units when they are running correct. I have several of both. You got a problem with the echo.