1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo PB-651 Fan Assembly self-destructed...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Snyderserv5060, May 25, 2008.

1. Snyderserv5060

Snyderserv5060 LawnSite Member

**oops I mistyped the title, its a 751

The other day on the job one of my Echo PB-751 backpack blowers (purchased july 1st 2006 so it has a tiny bit left on the warranty)... the blower/fan assembly literally exploded and locked up the engine. Parts of the fan were shot out the blower tube and slightly cracked the housing.

I was informed by Echo that all I needed to do is take my paperwork from the origional purchase to any echo place and the warranty work could be taken care of. However my dealer and I had it out when they informed me they refused to do the warranty work since it was purchased online. I purchased it from a company called valley sales who has a store and sells on ebay, legit company. So what do you all think of this issue? Its still under the 2 years and I intend to call Echo back and get them involved. Honestly it really concerns me that this blower/fan assembly completely self-destructed itself, not only that it was a danger to myself and others around but that this machine is maintained and stored indoors.

Unfortunately I do not have the time to wait while this unit is being repaired or I order parts and fix the damn think myself so im out a bunch of money because I had no option but to order an additional blower. While I can fix it myself...by the time I spend $60 on the fan and who knows what on the housing plus anything else damaged its going to set me back a bunch on a "should be dealt with under warranty machine."

Clearly I can find a new dealer but I want to get Echo to authorize the repairs or send me the parts so this unit can be put back together.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks all
  2. mountainlake

mountainlake LawnSite Member

Sound like Echo needs to have a talk with your dealer, they should fix it no matter where it came from. Steve
  3. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Go back to the dealer and tell them that you are filling a written complain with Echo asking them to pull their dealership away.
    Go see another dealer to get your blower fixed if they refuse to do the work.
    I can't stand these f#ck!r who try to give a hard time to honest users.
  4. Snyderserv5060

Snyderserv5060 LawnSite Member

They are simply mad that I did not purchase the blower from them... why would I when the difference between their price and tax jumps the cost up $100 and I can get the damn thing shipped to my door for FREE... Honestly to hold me over I bought another one online... even if it was the same price at this point them made me mad enough to not buy again.

I am going to contact Echo very shortly, im away currently for the holiday weekend and just wanted to get so additional opinions before I call them heated.

5. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

Just a quick note, your not alone, the 650's do the same thing. The fix is about $85 for all the parts. The flywheel is different (bigger bolts from the blower side, which requires complete disassembly of the unit. I don't recommend tearing it down unless you have a lot of time,so work a dealer to get them to honor the warranty, keep us posted, please let us know what happens, this was a design defect, not operator error.
  6. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

I have run into the same problem with dealers refusing to work on the machine because it was purchased elsewhere. What a crock! Thats why you choose a name brand so that if there is a problem you can get it taken care of. I have a 651T should I be aware of the same thing happening? It has mad a few weird noises from the blower housing area a few times recently.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Does Echo pay labor in the second year? Will dealer give you the parts you need? The replacement isn't that bad ...probably a couple hours at the most.
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I'd like to know the resolution to this one myself. Btw, what exactly happened?
    I have one and so far I've only had to replace the starter. Tony