1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo PB 750 blower won't shut off

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by brucec32, Jul 18, 2008.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

This blower uses the throttle setting slid all the way to "stop" to kill the engine. However, after a couple years use the engine won't kill at that position and I just slide the choke over to kill it. I played with the cable to tighten it up some but couldn't get any change and didn't want to screw it up. Machine runs fine, but I'd like to get it back to where I can kill it with the proper switch.

What's the solution? Never had this sort of thing happen before in 16 years.
  2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Either a faulty cut-out switch or a break in the wiring. They are a bit of a pain to sort, but not too daunting. With all the flexing of the hose it's not unusual for the thin wires to break.. If you're not comfortable dismantling the unit drop it into your repair shop. Should not take them more than 30mins if it's one of the two faults I mentioned.
    Just have a check of all the wires you can see, sometimes you can see the break, pull apart the wire wrap.
    Good luck Phil :)
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

An ohm meter is helpful. One wire goes to a gnd under one of the lower motor mounting screws and the other end inside the ignition module. Need to remove the motor cover and the ignition module to get to the slip on connector. Often times the slip on comes off at the ignition coil. Unit is normally open in run mode and closed or shorted to gnd to turn off. Just a case of either wire broke or the switch.
  4. Phil G

Look on the bright side; better to have one that won't turn off than one that won't start:)

Ok, I'll get my coat and leave :laugh:
  5. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

Now there's a man outstanding in his field:clapping:
  6. Phil G

Thank you kindly, one tries, one tries :jester:
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks, makes perfect sense now that I know the concept of how it's wired. I'll check it out this weekend. My old pb 400's and all the trimmers and hedge clippers have had a seperate on/off switch
  8. pencap43

pencap43 LawnSite Member

I have a echo pb 651. I have had it for two years as well and seem to have the same problem. However, my will shut off and then turn back on suddenly. It also does not give me a problem all of the time. I guess it might be a common problem...
  9. tedfrk

tedfrk LawnSite Member

remember the good old days on the old mowers when you had the piece of metal right near the spark plug grounded to the engine to shut them off.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, you also have one of those 'always on' machines?

Because I have a few that do that,
    the easy fix is when it comes time
    to shut it down is put the choke on.

That's what I've always done :p