1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo PB-755...89 Octane???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmanb2b, Oct 6, 2006.

1. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

Hi Guys...new to the forum. Just picked up a PB755 and the manual calls for 89+ octane 50:1 ratio....do you all run 87 octane succesfully....that what I run on my weedwacker and chainsaw
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

89 or 93 here.

They wouldn't recommend it if it didn't matter.

Do a search there is tons of replies about this, IIRC, the general concensus was that it was beneficial.

Now with todays high ethanol blends, I wonder how much less alcohol is in premium vs regular?
  3. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

most 2 cycle equipment requires 89 octane. i know all the echo stuff i have does.
  4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Gee, I've ben running 87 in everything. I guess I need to check it out.
    Everything runs ok as it is but, I'll check it out. I've got an Echo 751, a Robin 2450 and a Stihl FS85r.
  5. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I run 87 in my Stihl units with no problems.
  6. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I know most Echo equipment requires 89 Octane at least, but I still run 87. I am not positive on how much longer a blower would last on 89 rather than 87, but I am thinking not too much longer, so I think that for the amount of gallons of gas I use for my blowers, trimmers, etc (tons), I think I'm better off saving that 10 cents per gallon, and using that towards the replacement for the trimmers and blowers when they finally crap the bed.

Also, at the gas station, it would be a pain to say fill up the mowers with 87, hang up the gas pump, go inside the gas station to pay for the 87, then go back out and then fill up the small gas cans with 89 for the blowers and trimmers. Then, go inside and pay for the 89 (Plus too, you always have to wait for the people waiting in line at the gas station's register buying 10 scratch tickets and 5 lotto tickets) so going through the whole process twice at the gas station, just wastes a whole lot of time. Plus, too my truck needs Diesel, so plan on spending a lot more time at the gas station.

Now with cars, I think it's a totally different story. If you drive something with a higher compression, and need a higher octane, you have to run the recommended fuel, or else your vehicle won't run right.
  7. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

tcls has a point, it sucks to have to fill with 2 or more different types of gas[or diesel], and it doesn't make the people in back of you to happy either. I will never forget the time when someone I know filled his mower with diesel out of a can. It would run, foul the plugs, die, run, foul the plugs, die. About ten minutes of this till he told me ''oh sh**, I put diesel in it!''

But anyways, I don't think it is as essential for trimmers or blowers that you use a higher octane as it would be for a high performance car. They will explode lower octane gas to early and will cause a knock.
  8. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Backpack blowers have high compression!

I believe that all hand held manufacturers require 89 octane or higher in all of their equipment. I makes them run better and last longer with way fewer carb problems....this is due to the detergent additives that are in 89 + octane gas...helps keep the carb and engine clean!
  9. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I notice my Kohler 15 detonating after I turn it off sometimes. Reckon it might be the 87 octane?