Echo PB230LN vs Redmax 2600 vs Stihl BG85 handheld blowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, May 6, 2007.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to buy a handheld blower. I've narrowed my choices to 3:

Echo PB230LN 160 mph, 365 cfm at the pipe, 410 cfm in the housing.

Redmax 2600 160 mph, 367 cfm

Stihl BG85 183 mph, 459 cfm.

I'm not sure if the ratings for the Redmax and Stihl are at the pipe or in the housing. Prices are the same for all 3. I believe Echo and Redmax carry 2 year warranties, Stihl a 1 year warranty. I know the Echo and Redmax engines are commercial grade...not sure about the 27 cc engine on the Stihl.

What has been people's experiences with any of the 3 models. What would you reccomend? Blower is to be for a father's day gift for my dad. He'll be using it on his property only. It's not that big so a backpack is not necessary. I don't want to buy the cheaper residential version of each model. Just looking for the biggest bang for the buck.

2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I've got the Echo ES-230, and love it. It's the convertible hand held blower/leaf shredder of death version of the PB230. Blows leaves hard enough to build piles 4' high by whatever dimensions you choose, but doesn't do well with little bitty leaves or wet ones. The leaf shredder attachment is sweet. Echo claims 12:1 reduction, I think it must be pretty close to exactly that. I notice that you get alot better shreddage with large leaves than with small ones. Locust leaves pretty much go straight through, oak and maple get devoured. It will pick up an acorn or a stick and jam in the housing once in a while, but it's about a 1 minute deal to clear it.

3. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

IA James
    How old is that Echo Shred and Vac? Does it have the power boost tornado engine on it? I understand that the power boost engine is much more powerful and fuel efficient than its predecessor? I was leaning toward the Echo PB230LN in my search but would like to get some feedback before deciding.

4. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

I have the Stihl and an Echo, Stihl is on the trailer, Echo is my back-up. I feel the Stihl has much more power and my dealer is awesome....hth

5. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

I love my stihl hg85 as well (bg85 with vac attachment)

6. jeremy067390

jeremy067390 LawnSite Member

just wondering what you r trying to do. if you r starting a business i wouldnt go below 45 cc back pak. i got a tiny one for free and all it did was make me relize why some1 gave it to me.

7. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I bought it last summer, it has the 22.8cc Power Boost motor, I can't remember if it's the Tornado or the Vortex though. I get about an hour run time from each tank, tank is 20? or so oz.s

8. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i like thr stihl myself

9. dannyboy20

dannyboy20 LawnSite Member

I just bought the echo and I love it. Good price and decent power for a handheld.

10. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Go with the Stihl. I just had a Redmax blower take a crap on me. I have a BG55, and it rocks! Should've gotten another Stihl.