1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo PB260L Backpack Blower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone tried the Echo PB-260L backpack blower? I'm looking for a BP for my wife who only weighs about 105 lbs. I'm sure one of the bigger ones would be too heavy for her, and she can't use a handheld due to arthiritis. This blower is only 14.5 pounds compared to 20ish for most others. I know it's going to be less powerful, but wondering if it will be sufficient for her to help me out a bit with fall clean-ups. And of course, it needs to be able to last a while.

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

for the $300 price of that it would be more economical to take a look at a pb603 or 602 from echo, just a few more pounds and dollars, and it would work for you well too:)
  3. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Earlier this year I bought an Echo PB 602. One of my daughters went with me when I bought it. She is 9 years old and weighs about 45 pounds. Although she tried them all on in the shop, she wanted to try it for real. So when we got home I started it up, helped her to get it on and away she went. She ha to lean pretty far forward to keep from falling backwards, but she did a great job. :) I think I paid like $370 + tax.
  4. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

I have a PB260L My wife uses it and so do my son's nice and light and it does a great job just takes a little longer. I also have the PB602 for me. 260 starts on second pull every time. even when cold. Sure glad I put AC in the garage.
  5. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 260L and a redmax eb7000. the 260L is a great light weight blower for getting clippings off the sidewalks, but i wouldn't bother using one for fall clean ups. i struggled one winter with the 260L then decided to spend the extra money on the biggest i could get. if this is going to be a back up blower, i'd get one again. if it's going to be used for clean ups, forget it.
  6. Darryl G

Thanks for the input guys.

As long as she thinks she's helping and I can bill her time, that's all I care about!:D

I know she'd have trouble with a 20 pounder. My Shindaiwa EB630 isn't that heavy and she has trouble just putting it on. She's pretty skinny at 5'4" and 105 lbs.

I could use it for mowing instead of the Shin and save that for clean-ups. I'll see if the dealer will let me fire one up.
  7. Darryl G

Here's an update. It's been raining for days so I had some time to spend "kicking tires" at the 3 shops.

I'm going to just buy a small (5 ato 8 HP) WB blower instead. It would be nice to have one anyway, and I'm sure my wife would be more productive with that then a BP blower.

I'm leaning toward the Billy Goat w/ 5 HP Honda since it's light, well balanced and quiet. I also like being able to adjust the chute from the handle bar.

Any thoughts?
  8. Mr_Marc

Mr_Marc LawnSite Member

Tough to get into small areas. Up and Down stairs.
    Terreced(SP) yards. Can you tell us how heavy it is?

Just my .04
  9. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Echo PB603 for like $420, if the price is really close go with the bigger one, not the biggest though, the PB603 will blow things away, leaves included, but isnt that heavy on the back, is about like wearing a school bag on your back full of a few books, isnt that heavy at all, easy to use also.
    Just make sure you dont set the blower near or under your trailer and forget to put it in when you leave, learned that on Sat when i bent the piping for it, some tape and bending back did the trick works good as new. :cool:
  10. Darryl G

Here's another update. I decided that a 5 HP blower so too small and looked at bigger ones. They're pretty heavy and again I think my wife would have troble with it.

Instead, I bought an Echo ES-2400 Shred N Vac. If can be used as a handheld blower or as a shredder vac. It's light enough for her to handle, especially with the addition of a shoulder strap. She can do the fine clean-up in the beds and missed leaves here and there while I do the heavy clean-up.