Echo Pb603 Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Strawbridge Lawn, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday the blower was running great. Today I noticed it idled fine, but at full power it was bogging to the point of almost stalling. I let off on the gas to keep it from stalling. I can get it to full power, but only briefly before bogging. Happened in the course of one day...I have a new air filter in it, original plug. Unit is 2-1/2 years old. Any one else out there experience a problem like this??
  2. I don't run a 603 but to trouble shoot

1st check for carbon build up in spark arrestor-a screen in the muffler. Clean and reinstall.

2nd Fuel cap vent - when it starts bogging loosen the fuel cap and see if that makes it recover-if yes, replace fuel cap.

3rd High speed fuel mixture-sound like it could be too lean

4th for $2 I'd replace the plug too
  3. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Try Changing the fuel filter as well
  4. Strawbridge Lawn

I am hesitant to change the mixture because the problem came on so suddenly. Will try the fuel cap thing in the morning and try a new plug and gas filter.
  5. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Your spark arrestor is clogged, its happened to me numerous times.
  6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have an echo 603? I tried to remove the screen on mine a few weeks back, and it was apparently welded in. Was yors welded in place too? In this case, does that require the purchase of a new muffler?

Strawbridge Lawn, i cant offer any ideas, but please share what fixes it when you figure it out.
  7. Strawbridge Lawn

Pulled cover off and removed the screws from the spark arrestor cover. Inner screen was clean. Don't think that is the problem.
    But thanks. Getting a new plug this morning and will let you know if it was fouled.
  8. If you go to the dealer ask if they have the re-power kit. I believe it contains fuel filter, air filter, and plug.

Also check the exhaust port and combustion chamber for excess carbon build up. Take off muffler or plug to look.
  9. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

It's most likely the gas cap. That unit vents through the cap and when it is plugged the blower will do exacltly what you said it was doing.

Replace the gas cap!

PS...The PB-603 is a great blower! I had one till the PB-650 came out.
  10. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

Your choke might not be opening all the way. I had that happen on a trimmer I have. First check the gas cap though.