Echo PB770 or Shindaiwa EB8520

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Apr 5, 2010.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I need to buy a new blower and can't seem to decided between the Echo PB770 or the Shindaiwa EB8520. I can get the Shindaiwa for $699 (Canadian) and the Echo for $599. Overall I like the Shindaiwa better but the Echo seemed to be a little more powerful during a parking lot test, although it's tough to tell in a parking lot. I've never been an Echo fan but this blower does seem good. Anyhow, I'd appreciate any feedback from people who've used either one of the blowers. Thank you.

2. joed

Any responses?

3. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

BR600 by Stihl

4. DodgeGuy18

DodgeGuy18 LawnSite Member

Both the Echo PB 770 and Shindaiwa EB 8520 are significantly more powerful than the Stihl BR 600. Yes, they are heavier, but the Echo PB 770 with a 63.3CC engine is nearly as fuel efficient as the Stihl. I have owned both Stihl and Echo backpack blowers, and the Stihl was nowhere near as reliable as the Echo. The Echo consistantly started on the 2nd pull cold, even without the choke. The Stihl flooded far too easily, and I was lucky if it started on the 6th pull, cold or hot. Keep in mind that the Shindaiwa EB 8520 and Stihl BR 600 are both 4 cycle units while the Echo is a 2 cycle. Personaly, I would go with the Echo....it is the best of both worlds....More powerful than the Stihl BR 600, more fuel efficient than the Shindaiwa EB 8520, and more reliable than both of them. Despite what everybody says about Echo, most of my equipment has been Echo, and have never had a problem with any of it, old or new. My Echo SRM 210 is nearly 10 years old and has never had the plug or air filter changed, but still starts on the second pull every time....

5. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The Br600 starts on the first or second pull everytime. It is a hybrid engine and not a four stroke. The quality of it is so much better than the echo.

6. Lagniappe

Lagniappe LawnSite Member

I have had a Echo 770T for about three weeks. Paid for itself already with cleanups. Like all my Echo things its pretty much is running second pull. A friend of mine who is a RedMax fan, say it pushes harder than his 8001. Alot easier of fuel than I thought it would be. I have nothing but good things to say about mine.

7. joed

Thanks for the feedback guys. Anyone else use the PB770 or EB8520

8. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

It is a 4 cycle engine.

9. DodgeGuy18

DodgeGuy18 LawnSite Member

Thanks Al.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  10. K-OS

K-OS LawnSite Member

I purchased the Echo 770 over the Stihl and absolutely do not regret my decision. I can't say it is much more powerful, but I have never liked 4-mix engines. My brother has the Stihl BR600 Magnum and he says the Echo's power curve is much smoother.

I have the Echo 770, the Shindaiwa EB802 and the Redmax 8001. I can't say much on the reliability of the Echo yet, but the Redmax loses power after 1 year and I already blew 1 engine. The Shindy is amazing, especially if you remove the restrictive exhaust cap with screen, and so far so good runs as good as when I bought it (1 1/2 years ago)

As for the 4 cycle engines, MY opinion is not as good as 2 stroke. 2 strokes run smoother, have less maintenance and are cheaper to fix. I have a lot of experience with STIHL 4-mix weed eaters and absolutely hate them.

SO, I think you should go with either Shindaiwa OR Echo, both are great, maybe Echo has a little more air volume from what I could tell with my own experience, but both machines are GREAT.

Good luck!
    Dan