1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Echo Pb770

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Andre's Lawn Care, Oct 5, 2010.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Ok both the 770 and this 265 have adjustment needles on the carb. you must find them. And the ports get clogged on 265 with heavy use. The fuel is not a factor it is all in these adjustment. They are hid behind plastic plugs that can be pulled out.

2. Andre's Lawn Care

Andre's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Where are these plastic plugs located? The only place.I have heard about adjusting newer carbs is where the throttle cable.connects to on the carb.. if you look down at the little " brass" screw in there.. sometimes they are adjustable from that point
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yep that is it you have to have a D shaped device and I don't know what that is called but it is a standard tool. Now on the trimmers there is an addidional needle straight in from the back. Both of them use small screw driver after you get the plug out. Some heat up a spring hook plungs it into the plastic let it cool then pull. I have a reverse screw device to get them out don't know where to get em since dealer gave me one.

4. bvillefarm

bvillefarm LawnSite Member

If adjusting the carb does not work, replace the white check valve for the fuel tank. Had trouble with 2 PB770, I adjusted carbs, replaced carbs, nothing worked. Replaced the check valve, worked perfect. One easy way to tell is if you crack the gas cap just a little bit and you can hear air forced out of the tank, check valve is bad.

5. Bumpmaster

Bumpmaster LawnSite Fanatic

Guess the mechanics said there was dirt in the carb, have no idea how that could of happened but it has been working great for at least one day.

6. WorldsStrongestLandscaper

WorldsStrongestLandscaper LawnSite Member

I just took my carb completely apart. Mine went from running only on low idle to running ok (75%) on half choke. So I fixed half the prob. Where is this check valve located? And I also can't find this adjustment screw under the cap you guys are talking about. Lmk thx
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I live on the shore so went down and scouped up some of the foam that gathers on the surface of the water near the stone jetty at the town beach and put it in one of my trimmers that has been bogging down a lot. Now it won't run at all. That's the last time I'm ever putting sea foam in any of my equipment!!!!

8. echoman4

echoman4 LawnSite Member

What he said. In my review of the echo pb770T, I noted the following:

• After cleaning / rebuilding carb (as needed) and replacing the gas filter, spark plug and air filter
      I removed the spark arrestor on the muffler
      I tweeked the fuel metering lever (bending it slightly upwards) for a richer fuel mixture.
      This is almost required due to the power lost with a 10% ethanol blend in the fuel
      Then what Mac B posted: You can buy the "D" shaped echo screwdriver online and adjust the high speed fuel jet yourself or have a dealer do it. On mine, I opened this screw about 1 full turn. This jet is easily reached without removing the protective shroud. Look slightly upwards from the primer bulb. I forget if there was a protective plastic cap over the screw, but you can get in there fairly easily with the "D" screwdriver. After doing all that, the unit runs flawlessly.
      I use only 91 octane super gas, occasionally add Seafoam,
      Oh, and do add some stabil to your gas, especially if you're not using it very often.

9. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

mine did this for the first time this fall. I used 1/3 can of seafoam maybe a tad more. figured out where it ran best on the choke. maybe 20 or so minutes. it started to run rough and died. I started it with no choke. it has ran like new since

10. Mike A

Mike A LawnSite Member

I sure am glad I don't live close to the ocean!
    Posted via Mobile Device