Echo PE266 Not Coming Up to Speed--What Am I Missing

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GlynnC, Aug 2, 2013.

1. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a used Echo PE266 from an online aucton. It starts great and runs up to mid speed then seems to max out. It's obvious this machine hasn't had a lot of usage. Since I have a new 266 trimmer that runs great, I've tried swapping a lot of parts with no success. Here's what I've done:
    Checked exhaust port--clear
    Checked compresson--140
    Changed fuel line and filter
    Adjusted high speed jet
    Installed new sparkplug--NKG BPM8Y
    Swapped carbs with new 266 (carb on problem unit runs great on new 266)
    Swapped mufflers
    Swapped carb mounting block (not sure exactly what it's called)
    Swapped coils
    Tried running without drive shaft--just in case it was a problem with gearbox
    Fuel is fresh 93 octane/no ethanol, Amsoil (runs great in new 266 and other equip)

What am I missing? Is it possible that the intake porting is blocked--exhaust port was clean so I doubt the engine has major carbon.

Would love to get this running. My new 266 has been great so far--only a couple weeks usage on it.

2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing I would check is that the throttle is opening fully on the carburetor end, sometimes the cable needs adjusting so that when you pull the throttle lever it actually opens the butterfly valve completely. This should have been checked before the carburetor was swapped.

If that's all right...

Probably an air leak at the intake manifold, somewhere between the carburetor and the intake port, likely that gasket and there might be two (such as if there's a spacer). This should have been replaced when the carburetor was swapped.

That having been said, I still make those same mistakes myself some days.
    And hopefully one of those two fixes it.

3. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

on all the new echo stuff i get seems to have to have carb ajustments after a year or so then they are ok after that.

4. GlynnC

I checked to make sure throttle pulled to full distance. Also sprayed carb cleaner around carb mounting area to check for air leaks--but I agree, it does act like an air leak. Only paid $62 for this unit and it would be a great "spare parts donor", but it's too nice of a unit for that.

5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Is there any sign of leakage at the base gasket--between the jug and crankcase?

Possible case halves leak?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  6. GlynnC

Jug and crankcase look good, checked to make sure screws were tight. Didn't really look at case halves--will do that. This unit is almost new--very clean, but it could have been cleaned. The carb high speed adjustment plug had already been removed. Clutch looks almost new so I doubt it's had much run time.

7. jhonster

jhonster LawnSite Member

You can usually decipher if its a fuel mix/ratio problem or a mech prob fairly quickly with a can of flammable carb spray.

Just get the thing running like you did. When you go to wide open throttle, just spritz the carb inlet with some of the carb spray. If the RPM's take off & you get full RPM, you know you've got a lean running piece of equip. If it just continues to bog down, I would be looking elsewhere. 9 times out of 10 here we see a lot of carbs (just because of all the crap & deterioration in the carbs) and clogged or restricted exhaust ports.

Now on the exhaust ports. They can be tricky sometimes. Make sure you use a BRIGHT flashlight to look at it. I've seen it where the carbon lays itself down in such a way that it almost looks like its part of the port. Make sure you scrape that sucker till you see aluminum. Then you'll KNOW you're at the base of the metal. Just be careful not to hit the piston when doing so. I usually put the motor at bottom dead center with the piston to avoid piston skirt or ring damage.

8. GlynnC

I've cleaned a lot of exhaust ports, I use a popcicle stick so that I don't damage the metal. I also lower the piston so I don't damage the piston or rings, but this piston does not go all the way down to the bottom of the port--still some piston showing at bottom. There wasn't much carbon in the port.

9. GlynnC

Talked to an Echo dealer service man today, 1st thing he wanted to do was replace the carb--told him I had tried another known working carb--didn't help.

He then wanted to replace fuel line and filter--told him that had been changed and didn't solve the problem.

Decided I was afraid of what the repair bill would be, so I didn't leave the unit with him!! I don't know how folks hire all their maint. done!!

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe one of the crank seals popped out if it has been sitting somewhere. And get the low jet plug out so you can adjust it. That jet might be flooding too much fuel in. Just for good measure put on new breather.