Echo PE266 Not Coming Up to Speed--What Am I Missing

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GlynnC, Aug 2, 2013.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

No..if those are clogged then transfer ports in head are likely full. I would pull head. You needto switch to shinduwa red armour. Even echo tech recommend that. Exhaust portsare theones that clogwith heavy use.
  2. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea, been thinking about switching to red armour, nows a good time. Hopefully it'll clean this unit as good as new. What really puzzles me is the rest of the unit was spotless, but these ports looked really bad.

Ed, as always, thanks for your help. Heading to the Texas hill country about 50 mile NW of Austin in a couple weeks--hear it's hot there!!
  3. GlynnC

Ed, got to thinking about this--I think the transfer ports were what was plugged. It wasn't the big port where the carb attaches to the cylinder, it was the little small holes up in the cylinder--where the fuel/air enters the cylinder when the piston is at the bottom of the stroke.
  4. LCR

LCR LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I know this is old and I think I read everything and have questions

When you say you pulled the jug you mean the fuel tank?
    And what ports on the intake are you talking about? on the face of the block or actually inside the intake path?

I only have a PB770 motor sitting around right now and there is only one port when you take the intake off you mention ports plural so not sure if there are multiple on the 266 motor
  5. GlynnC

The piston cylinder is commonly called the jug--when removed, the piston and rings are then out of the cylinder, connected to the rod and crankshaft.

The ports I referred to are probably more properly the transfer ports. Since the small 2-stroke engines do not have valves, they must have some way for fuel/air mix to get into the cylinder. This is accomplished by a transfer port. These transfer ports differ in design for various brands, but accomplish the same thing--allowing fuel into cylinder as the piston goes down. They are the passage way from the crankcase to the cylinder.

The Echo 266 has 2 of these transfer ports (small holes about the size of a Q-tip swab) on each side of the cylinder. These holes were at least 50% plugged, restricting the fuel that could enter the cylinder--essentially the same as holding the throttle half open.

Hope this answers your questions.