1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo power pruner questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captken, Feb 16, 2003.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to upgrade the gearcase and chain oiler [is old style] to the new one which has the hedge trimmer attachments. Has any of you done this upgrade. I checked the companies website, Echo, but couldn't find any information concerning this.
    Doing the upgrade would allow me to use this piece of equipment to trim hedges instead of buying something new. like the
    Stihl string trimmer with the hedge trimmer attachment. The pole pruner extends to 18 feet.
    Any suggestions on how to secure it to trailer.
    My jungle jims won't work for the pole pruner.
  2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have not done the upgrade,but I do have the echo pruner/hedger I never use the hedger because it is really heavy.

It's very different from prunning make the arms tired fast.

Any ? about mine feel free.
  3. captken

I believe you can take the extensions out of the tube so that you have something that resembles the stihl model [articulated] I used the stihl model last year that a friend had it was good for trimming high hedges with out using a step ladder. I also used it to mow down weeds and vines, handling it like a strig trimmer. worked real good. I use the pole pruner extended with the strap to take the weight off, still it works the upper body good though
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I would be lost with out my pole prunner. I have the articulated hedge trimmer head and use it alot. Its a work out on the upper body, especially with the 5' extension, but you charge accordingly.

5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen but not experienced the hedge trimmer on the power pruner.
    I will echo(pun intended)that using the power pruner is a great upper body workout.
    I secure my power pruner to my trailer but placing it on top of the supports for my stihl equipment and bungee chording it in place.
    I really do not know how to explain it other than that - but it works for me.
  6. captken

I have bungeed it to the bed of my worktruck. Constantly forget and run into it walking behind the truck. Lost the sheath once and walked into it tore shirt and drew blood. I use it more often than you can imagine. I could just bungee it to the trailer but People notice especially whats in the trimmer racks. I need a way to lock the Power Pruner in place. The Jungle Jims keep the string trimmers and edger from bouncing when you hit bumps. You can lock them at both ends as a thieft deterent.
    I will probably end up making my own. I was just wondering if any one else had made their own and had advise or pics to share with the group.
  7. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

Go to a place like Northern or a trailer manufacturer.

Buy two spring shackle holders. This is the part that holds the end of the spring to the trailer body itself. Basically shaped like a "U" with a hole through it. I welded mine but your could bolt it to your trailer side. On the flange sides they another hole through it. Take a 5/8" handled pin and put it through those flange holes after your power pruner is in it. The just put a small lock through the end of the pin. Now it's locked to your trailer and safe from bouncing around.

I have done this for some time. Easy and cheap. Keeps your power safe and secure.

I'll post a picture later.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It can't be done. If you are talking about the Power Pruner that reaches 18', this is has a whole different attachment for the sawblade than the smaller versions that hold the hedgetrimmers and such. I hope I understod this question, alright. As far as the large one goes for transport, just do like I did. I just welded two 2" muffler clamps onto the outideside of the bed on my 2003 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton 4x4. I had no idea it burn the paint quite that much, though. A little can of spraypaint though, and you can hardly notice it at 100 feet or so...
    Incidentally, I see that Eco has a backpack trimmer out now, similar to what Husqvarna used to have. It's on this page. http://www.echo-tools.com/prod_1.htm
  9. captken

those are 2 good ideas for securing the pole pruner. I got the Echo phone # today and will talk to them about the conversion. If it is possible, I'll post it tomorrow. If it can't be done, my choices are to look at shindawi, stihl, or echo for the articulated pole trimmer. Any recommendations? I have a stihl regular trimmer that i use now, ht 45, but not sure how it will hold up. I found a commercial husky at the local pawn shop, looked in good shape they want 70.
    Started right up and ran real nice. Looks to take 3/4 to 1 inch branches. Any experice with Huskys?
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

But of course I was kidding about the welding on the brand new pickup.... I don't even HAVE a brand new pickup!:D The clamp idea would work on something, though.