Echo Quality?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Godfather, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Godfather

Godfather LawnSite Member

Did you all know that almost all Echo small handhelds have single ring pistons. They used to be 2 rings in the past, but not any more. Srm-210, Hc-150,most of the hedge trimmers, small chainsaws. This was kind of a shock to me. They may not need 2 rings on the smaller engines anymore because of clearance tolerances, or maybe they are just cutting costs and quality.
  2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i have some newer equip and there fine. they had carb issures on srm260's and pole prunners but they will take care of you if you have a problem
  3. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23 LawnSite Member

Shindaiwa, RedMax and Stihl are top of the line!
  4. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

the newer ones have a bigger piston ring , it provides the same seal as two smaller ones ,as in thickness . look it up in parts ,they have different part numbers.
  5. johng

johng LawnSite Member

Lot's of Pro equipment uses one ring like Husky pro saws. It all depends on what the engineers spec and it isn't always because of price. When you really think about the second or third ring really isn't doing much with a low compression motor like a line trimmer. I would trust Echo.
    JMO, John
  6. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Ya, it would be the second one.
  7. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Personally i think Echo quality has went downhill in last 3 years, They are not the same handhelds they were 3 years ago , I started switching everything over to Kawi handhelds , maybe a bad move on my part but so far very happy
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The new vortex engine with the single ring is a highly advanced new design from Echo that allows them to continue to meet pollution standards with the straight two stroke. This is a new ring material and it isn't to reduce cost but it is to reduce heat. I got a full pitch on a technical review day we had in oiur area and this engine is very impressive. Next step is to put on the electronic controlled carb wihich will be coming.
  9. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The reason makers of commercial equipment use two piston rings is it dissapates more heat than a single ring unit allowing the internals to run cooler. That is why the makers of commercial equipment still use two rings in their cylinder. The single ring that Echo is using is a large ring but it does not give the advantages of a two ring system. It seems that they started usung that ring when they produced the 251 for home owners and have now started using it in other equipment.
  10. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

echo stole tooooo much of my money its switch over to all redmax 3 years ago and its funny all of our handheld problems went away with the old echo stuff