Echo Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leeave96, Dec 30, 2007.

1. leeave96

leeave96 LawnSite Member

What are your opinions of Echo chainsaws?
    I am considering one for some brush cutting. I need something durable as my Stihl's but lighter in weight.

Also, someone told me once that the Echo saws that are orange are professional grade and the white ones are consumer grades. Anything to that?

I am considering an Echo CS-306 (orange) and a CS-346 (white).

BTW, I am also considering a Stihl MS 200.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Bill

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have several of the smaller Echo over the years and they have held up well. We got a new 306 last year and it is fine. I wish we had bought a unit that has an easier chain adjustment feature than the echo. It hasn't changed over the years but requires two tools to tighten. We have a bigger Stihl and it is a monster.....I would be tempted to go with the stihl 200 because it does look like it has a easier chain adjustment feature. These chain saws all seem to be pretty reliable.

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I bought an Echo CS340 (14" bar..arborist style) about 5 yrs ago. It has held up extremely well. I posted a thread about this saw about a week or so ago...It has never let me down or given me any trouble.

4. Ruben Rocha

Ruben Rocha LawnSite Senior Member

The orange color change is just a marketing change, Even though the model number is different there are some minor differences. If you look at the mix oil you will see the decal changed as well on the bottle.

5. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo is going to be changing their color back to orange on all models eventually. They started it about a year ago with the pb755 blowers, the cs370 chainsaws, the cs306 chainsaws and now some more for this year.

The 306 saw is not something i would sell to a commercial guy. It's made for homeowners. Not a bad rear handle saw for 200 bucks, but it's only 30cc.

The 346 top handle saw went away for a few years and they brought it back. Not really sure why, the cs330T and 360t have been pretty well recieved, especially with the intake on the back of the saw away from the bar and chain.

Honestly, i would say forget the 306. If you want a top handle say, the 360T with a 14" bar is the way to go. One hand operation and light. Otherwise, go with the 370 rear handle with a 16" bar. Good combo saw for lighter duty stuff. They have a new cs400 for this year, looks similar to the 370, but a bit more power and a bit heavier.

And, a 5 year consumer warranty from echo. No one touches that.

6. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo makes a good saw always has! They are bashed a little bit because of going into the home depot stores and now many think they are going to homeowner only machines!

7. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

I have several echo saws 3 of the 346 models they all work great don't have any problems so they sell them at home depot big deal that means you can get one at 7:00 at night when the mower shop is closed.

8. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing really bad about it other than the dealer network has gotton smaller because of it. Same thing that happend to husky!

9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Just bought a 370 and it's the best saw we've ever had.

10. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Try something else in the small saws, if you have used a good Husky/Stihl/Dolmar/etc then the Echo wont match up!! Not the power of the rest!