Echo shaft hedger problems!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cariboulou, Mar 24, 2006.

1. cariboulou

cariboulou LawnSite Member

Anybody else have any issues with echos shc-1500? I only use mine once a month for about 30 min or so, but frequently the blades stop moving but the engine doesnt. I have to take off the bottom cover of the gearbox and take everything apart, reinstall it, then itll work again. there are no signs of rust sticking the blades together, although I dab some grease inbetween the blade to make sure it moves freely. the gears are in good shape and there is some grease in the gearbox. I use amosil grease which is sort of thick, but does that make a difference? Should that gearbox be paked with grease? if so, what kind?

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I prefer a spray lubricant rather than grease. You may also want to check for blade adjustment bolts that may be a little to tight. If they are overtightened, once your blades start getting heated up(and expand a little) you have enough friction that cannot be overcome by lubrication. My rule of thumb in adjusting blade bolts is to get them just tight enough to be still able to slide the washer on the bottom of the bar. Also, remember that the bolts are threaded into the top half of the barand the nut acts as a lock. Loosen the locknut on top first, adjust bolt then tighten locknut. In tightening locknut you may find that the washer is not free. As you will find, adjusting these is not an exact science.

In saying this, I am assuming that your clutch and drum assembly is operational.

I prefer white lithium grease for the gear case although I am aware of others who use conventional tube grease. Lithium is a little more viscuous at cooler temperatures.

Dutch

3. cariboulou

thanks for the advice dutch, I loosened the bar bolts like you said, and sprayed some wd40 all over the bar. Also gave it some grease through the zerk fitting but just a couple of suirts...how do you know when its full?

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I just started using a penetrating lube that my dealer carries on my hs-80 and whata difference! There is absolutely no comparison between this stuff and oil or wd-40. Only downside is it is smelly as hell but works great. Before I started using it the blades would be sticky and had to run at or close to WOT for the clutch to engage and move the blades without engine bog. Now the clutch engages at all rpms and blades move really freely and stay clean!

5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Cariboulou,

If you get excessive grease in gear housing you likely will get some grease exiting past the felt seal where the cutter bars exit the housing.

Dutch

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Might just take the cap off the gear box and take a look ....you might be surprised how the grease is everywhere except the gears. Never had a gear box go out on Echo hedge trimmer, yet!

7. cariboulou

take the cap off the gear box? do you mean taking the bottom off by removing the allen head screws? Ive done that more than a couple of times.

8. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Try Fluid Film on the bar. It's solvent-free so it won't evaporate or get sticky. If you haven't tried it yet, check out our sponsored forum under Mowing Equipment and try a sample can for free. It will outlast and outperform any competitive product. We'll bet a can on it.

9. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Adjust the bolts as Dutch1 outlined, just don't get your fingers tangled up in the cutters:cry:

Also, remember whatever grease you use on the bar will wind up in a plant's fresh cut; light penetrating oil should suffice.

10. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Fluid Film will not burn greenery so it is safe to use. We've done tests and found that even after dousing a lawn or plant, Fluid Film has no adverse effects.