Echo, Shindaiwa or RedMax Hedge Trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NittanyLawncare, May 19, 2007.

1. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

I need to purchase a gas powered hedge trimmer for some upcoming jobs. My options are all around $260. They are the Echo 150, Shindaiwa 22 or RedMax 2200. All trimmers are right around 22cc. Echo has a 20" bar, Shindaiwa and RedMax has 22" bar. Shindaiwa's the lightest, then RedMax, then Echo. Any suggestions on which one I should get?

2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I'm not sure if the echo 150 still lhas the 2 ring piston, if so, my choice because of a good dealer here. whatever dealer you have there locally that has the best parts inventory and service department, I'd go with that brand.

3. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

All of them are pretty close and with very good service, have taken things into each before and couldn't complain. Thats why its really boiling down to which trimmer is the best.

4. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Redmax has better blades from what I have experienced. Steel is better on them. Echo trimmers I have had problems with and Schindaiwa makes a good product overall.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the shind home pro is the best for the $. the redmax is great but more $ the echo is a pos. i have had 3 echo 1500 in the past and all 3 = carb problems and poor cutting

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have the Echo 150. Haven't had it long. Seems fine so far. Echo did have a recall on the gearboxes for certain 150's. But you just take it to your dealer and they slap on a new gearbox.

i have had 3 echo 1500 in the past and all 3 = carb problems and poor cutting

Why would you have kept buying them when having such problems?

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i bought them because for many years the echo 1500 was the only game in town and i mean this literly. the echo was so much lighter than the others and no other dealers in my city except echo. i used to do a huge ammount of hedge/shrub trimming and have a bad back so i needed the lightest trimmer possiable. well echo got greedy and lost almost all their dealers in my city and rightly so (its too long a story to tell)others moved in when echo got the boot and i bought redmax and shin units from then on. the shin home pro is WAY better than echo 1500 .

8. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

My echo hc-150 has been great. I have had zero problems yet.

9. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo is all we run. Easiest to work on if need be. Lawnboy you had to be doing something wrong (water in fuel or something) to go through that many carbs. I can take a Echo carb off, tear it down, clean it, rebuild it, and put in back on in less than 15 minutes. We also run a small engine repair shop and I have yet to ever run across a echo carb that was truly no good.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Same here....I just started ordering some of the new technology blades for our older units...at $50.