1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Echo shred and vac

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TNGrassCutter, Jan 23, 2011.

1. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anybody use these machines? I need a new hh blower and these convert tons hh blower but also can suck leaves or hedge trimmings I guess. Any input?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. h2oskier

h2oskier LawnSite Senior Member

Makes it nice for shrubs, i have one but its the still version, i like it alot your not limited to one or the other either.

3. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I did posted and research about shred and vac. Consensus are don't count on the shred and vac part, none are very effective. Just concentrate on the blowing part. You want a HH blower, by all means. I end up not getting a shred and vac because it's pretty much unamous negative from the feedback.

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You must have missed my posts, I have commented in at least 3-4 threads over the years about these. We have used shred N vac's for at least 6-8 years. We like the Stihl's for performance/reliability but the Echo is much more comfortable to use with that extra handle in the center of the motor. The Echo bags are also bigger.

5. Davido

Davido LawnSite Member

I have used Stihl, Echo, and numerous "homeowner" models. Here's my take. I'm a fan of Stihl equipment but the impellers on there vacs break WAY TOO easily. I use the Echo ES255 and it works quite well - although the bag clogs a little more than I like. That's probably my own fault for picking up too much at once, twigs, etc. I like it, though, and the impellers are stronger than the Stihl (and much cheaper). The toughest on I ever used was a piece of crap homeowner version under the snapper name. I believe it was made by Poulan. It only had two speeds - three if you count idle - but you couldn't break the impeller with a hammer and it would literally suck up 1/2 inch gravel on the high setting. Unfortunately, the engine wasn't built as tough as the rest of the machine. Hated to get rid of that thing. I got in on Craigslist for $20 and it was worth every penny.