Echo SRM-210 questions.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pennington Lawncare, Oct 6, 2008.

1. I bought a SRM-210 a few months ago and I've got a couple complaints with it. First off, the thing is hard to start requiring 8 or so pulls of the rope before it starts and yes I prime it. When it does attempt to fire up it then takes a while to warm up so that it will run right. It's pretty much been this way since it was new.

I'm about to put a new spark plug in it and hopefully that will help it out a little. Once it's warmed up it will easily fire right up on the first pull but, if you let it cool off for a very few minutes it'll require a few more cranks and possibly require the use of the choke to get it running again.

The other thing that I don't like is the head itself. The head that came on the 210 I bought was supposed to be the better head but, if that's Echo's idea of a superior head then I sure don't want to see their cheaper head. The string already stretched out the holes that are supposed to hold the string and then I started bending the string in the middle and sliding the center down into the slots of the head to hold them instead. The string often hangs and doesn't want to feed properly. I much prefer the Husqvarna head on my 323L over this echo head. Maybe I should put a Husqvarna head on this Echo. I bought a Husqvarna head a while back and it came with other sized parts in the pack to make it work with other trimmers so hopefully it will work on an Echo. Unless someone has an alternative suggestion.

I'm hoping that the local Echo dealer can adjust the carb on the 210 to help it start more easily and I'll figure the head out eventually possibly with the help of someone on here. Thanks much in advance.

PS. If I had noticed that the 210 didn't have carb adjustment screws that can be easily adjusted I probably wouldn't have bought it.
  2. I was actually looking into to buying one , glad I read your thread first. Sorry you are having so much trouble. I hope it works out for you. Please let me know the outcome.

P.S I have a Pb413 blower that cranks on the first pull , i thought I could except the same from the trimmers
  3. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

You can do a search on the 210s, They are a bit*h to start. This is how I start mine: prime 3 times, @ full choke(holding the throttle wide open)pull until it fires once.then put choke @ half and hold throttle open. when it fires it will start running and open choke until it clears up and runs smooth(always holding throttle). nothing else will help. you can spend $ on it all you want to but its a waste!! Welcome to Echo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. cody890

cody890 LawnSite Member

You might make sure your air filter is clean. I'm really not familiar with weedeater spark plugs but I know on bigger motors you can run a hotter spark plug which should help your problem. I guess you could also be flooding it. If it smokes a lot right when it fires then it's probably flooding enough to not want to start. And as far as the head goes. I've always had echomatic pro's on my trimmers and have had good luck with them. As long as you wind the string properly they always feed just fine. My srm-261 did come with some sort of auto-loader head that lasted me about a week though...
  5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I have been useing this trimmer for about 10 years now. They usually last me 2 years. The past 2 times i have bought them i noticed they are getting very hard to start. Probably will end up changing brands next year.
    Just not sure what to go with. I am so use to useing the echo srm210.
  6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I hope you are using 89 octane fuel? Are you keeping the cooling vents cleared? Changing the filter in the tank every so often? Blowing out the carb filter? I like the dual line head better than the old ones. Less likely to get tangled. String still goes in the slots pretty good after a couple of months but both type heads don't last all that long anyway
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I love my 210 trimmer. It starts alittle hard but I have NEVER changed the plug, it's sat in the cold garage for 5 winters now and was only used for my property. I started my business and now use it as my primary trimmer and has been flawless so far. If I use it at one property, by the time I get to the next job, it's already cold and needs choked to start again. Whats the big deal? My 230 blower is the same exact way. I start them about the same as DaughtryLC and they have always started. I've been slowly changing my starting method. I've found that if I prime it 5-10 times instead of just a few, all I have to do is choke it and start pulling. Usually within 3 or 4 pulls it starts, gotta be quick with the choke or it will stall but for the most part, it starts very easy. Remember, these tiny engines are not like a EFI automobile, they need finesse to help them start. Lets not make life harder then it already is.
  8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I remember having those issues when I bought that unit. My Maruyama had died and so I ran to Home Depot to grab one. Tough to start, slow to warm up. Underpowered... I exchanged it 3x's thinking it was dumb luck. ...The only thing dumb was ME for purchasing it.

That being said, I currently run a 230 and a 251T. I like them both. They're each a couple of years old, and they start on one or two pulls each time. Low maintenance and cheap parts. I have 4 split-chamber heads that I keep pre-spooled for quick changeouts.

Step it up from that model and you'll do okay.
  9. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Prime it till there is no bubbles in the gas line or bulb or when you feel it tighten up .Then use daughtrylcs method's. I know it sounds dumb, but hold the trimmer upside down when it is cold it warms up a lot faster. I can actually take mine running upside down and turn it over and it will cut completely off sometimes .I try to do my edging first while it warms up.
  10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I can't see it being under powered for everyday use. I'm at half throttle most of the time. I guess if your trimming thick tall weeds yeah maybe. 6 years without touching a needle or the plug and it still runs great, this last year it has seen 10x the use and still works great.