Echo SRM-210 vs Stihl FS 55 vs Husqvarna 123L

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by speedster, Aug 5, 2007.

1. speedster

speedster LawnSite Member

I wasn't really sure where to put this question but I figure you guys know more than the average joe.

I'm not in the lawn care business but I want to get a trimmer for my home. I've got a $200 budget and I've narrowed it down to the following three trimmers. Echo SRM-210, Stihl FS-55, Husqvarna 123L All three are available locally for $199. I'd really prefer a Shindiawa but there are none made in my budget as far as I can tell.

Anyway, Most of my trimming will be based around the yard with an occational cutting of a small bank that gets a little thick every once in a while. I'd also like the ability to put a blade on in case I have some thicker cutting to do. But normally would cut using .095.

I've heard good things about all three trimmer but thought I'd get a professional opinion from you experts. What are the pros and cons of those three units? Thanks.

2. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Go with the stihl my fs 80 has 3 years on it and runs great

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

there is a shind in your price range -its the 22t home pro and a better unit than the echo or husky. if between the 2- i would pich the echo.

4. speedster

My local Shind dealer did not have a 22T. Is that an old model? He did have a T195 I think it was called and it was in that price range. It had a weird maroon engine instead of the red or blue that I've seen on Shind's. The dealer said that it not that great and that it had a no-name engine on it. He advised me against it. Aside from that T195 the next cheapest Shind he had was $279 and I think it was a 230 or 240. Something like that. Good looking machine but out of my range.

Maybe I'll call and ask him about a 22T. You think it's better than the Stihl, Husky, and Echo?

My dad has an old 230 and the thing is a real tank. You can't kill that thing. Starts on first or second crank every time. Thats why I'd like to get a Shind. I just wasn't aware that they had a $200 unit other than that T195 that I was swayed away from.

5. SEALAWNMANAGEMENT

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT LawnSite Member

I have 3 of the stihl fs 55's. 2 of them are the brush cutter models and the other is regular style. I have had one of the brush cutters for 5 years. I have had no problems at all with any of them. My dad has stihl that is 25 years old and still runs good.

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

your dealer is an idiot! he dosnt sell the 22t because he would rather up sell you . the 22t is a great unit -no trouble with mine after 2 years. its way better than the 231 . dont know the 195 t model. mabey shin dosnt make the 22t engine but who ever does knows what there doing. runs way better than the shin231 engine -do not buy one of these! weak and over weight. dont let him talk you into it -you are warned.

7. speedster

Okay, I just talked to both of my local Shindaiwa dealers and this is what I've been told:

Dealer #1: The 22T cost $219.99 and the T230 cost $259.99. Salesman says it's a no-brainer to spend the extra $40 and get the $230. It's got a pro engine and will last a homeowner forever.

Dealer #2: They don't sell either the 22T or the T-230 any longer because they have been replaced by the T-195 and the T-242 respectively. He says the T-195 is an upgrade to the 22T because it has a 2-ringed piston vs the single ring in the 22T. The T-295 cost $239.99. He said the T-242 is replacing the T-230 and they are selling it for $289.99.

All of these are over the $200 that I wanted to spend. Although the T-230 seems tempting even though it's more than I wanted to spend.

Thoughts?

8. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

If you can, I would spend the extra money and get the T 230. It is a great trimmer. I used mine heavily for 5 years before I had to replace it. I have nothing but positive reviews for that model.

9. dacoach

dacoach LawnSite Member

The echo has a 5 year home owners warranty on it. To me that is worth the most. Most others have a 2-3 year warranty on them.

10. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Yea, I'd say go with the Echo.