1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo SRM 2100 trimmer die out..baffled

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BigShelby, Mar 15, 2008.

1. BigShelby

BigShelby LawnSite Member

Echo SRM 2100 trimmer...

Original problem was trimmer would start, run for about 5 min. then die out and would not run again until it cooled off.

During the winter I decided to rebuild the carb, replace plug, air filter, fuel filter. Still did died out same as before.

I replaced the ignition coil thinking it was failing as the engine got hot. Still died out same as before. Ran 5 minutes at WOT and before it died out it began to act as if it was bogging down. If the high side on the carb was adjusted incorrectly why would it run great for 5 min.? I don't think it's an adjustment issue.

Any suggestions?

2. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Is your breather tube coming out of the gas tank clear of debris? My echos bog down and I cleaned the tubes they run great. just a suggestion
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Good idea to just replace the breather and the line in this case.
  4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Mine did that too... I replaced the breather and line and it ran fine for a week then the motor seized up. Im done with echo. I still have a saw and hedge trimmers... both are hard to start compared to my stihl equipment.
  5. Jay19LM

Jay19LM LawnSite Member
    from Mo

What does the sparkplug look like after it shuts off. Wet, oily, fluffy black, grey, white or tan? Sounds like your exhaust is plugged. I would remove the muffler and make sure the exhaust port and spark arrestor are clean and no signs of scoring on piston. I assume it has good compression.

6. Rcgm

Rcgm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I was going to say spark arrester I think stihl hand held blowers have this problem alot never had a clogged one on a Echo though.

7. BigShelby

BigShelby LawnSite Member

Plug looks clean. I'll check the exhaust. I also remembered I didn't replace the welch plug when I rebuilt the carb, stupid on my part. I tore the carb apart again, popped out the welch plug, found some crud and cleaned it out. As soon as I get a new plug, I'll see if that makes a difference. The low side adjustment maybe bottomed out. It will idle with the screw all the way in and it shouldn't.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

All I know is this is how Echo's quit, sorry to break it like this but this is the sign an Echo gives off that it has seen better days. Stihl's sometimes do it too, but Echo is famous for this starting up and running great then crapping out (especially the gradual loss of rpm's, almost like it's seizing).

What I learned from this, the best case scenario with any machine that has more than a few day's use on it, is to calculate upfront the cost of replacement vs. labor hours to fix the old one... That is, which is cheaper, fix it or replace it?

As a general rule, much past 1-2 hours and a few inexpensive parts, a $300 trimmer is cheaper to replace, then keep the old one for parts (so you have more inexpensive parts if it happens again)... Always keep the old ones for parts, even if you never intend to buy that brand again, I've been surprised more than once a part from one crosses to another brand.

Just my take on things, I'd likely be ready to scrap this one about here.
    And yes, I have an srm-260s does the same thing, ran real good for 3 seasons then it went down hill...
    It will make you think there's something silly wrong with it, but much past coil and carb, spark plug, air filter, inline fuel filter and checking the hoses, it's to a point it's cheaper to replace already...

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but my own schooled me heh
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Keep at it ......if nothing else you are learning...how old is this unit and how much use?
  10. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Sounded like you tried a lot of things, Asumming carb is ok now, the engine ran so the engine is basically good. all filters and plug are good.

Did you ever try loosening the gas cap when it start bogging down. I know you clean the breather tube already. Just a wild guess.