Echo SRM-225 having trouble starting

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pattytastik, Aug 24, 2011.

1. pattytastik

pattytastik LawnSite Senior Member

I have an srm-225 that is about 1.5-2 years old which gets about 10 hours a week or so i'd say. In the last few months it is very hard to cold start. It takes about 20-30 pulls. It always starts. Eventually. Any idea what is causing this. I believe it needs the carb to be cleaned but I know nothing about repairs or that kinda stuff. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Josh

2. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I know its obvious but replace the plug? I have to change mine about once a month
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. pattytastik

I haven't replaced it since I bought it. Do you think an old spark plug would cause it to have trouble starting? I would think a bad spark plug would just prevent it from starting at all.

4. j-ville native

j-ville native LawnSite Senior Member

change the spark plug. also might want to change the air filter while you're at it. should start after that. mine won't start right now either but thats because it got rained on really hard today so it just needs to dry out and hopefully it will be running in the morning

5. McG_Landscaping

Definitely. When its starting to go it takes quite a few pulls. Once its replaced it should start in only a few. Could be a cheap$ 4.50 fix!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. pattytastik

Great! That's what i'll do!

Thanks a lot!

7. McG_Landscaping

Np let us know how it goes!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. tlc1994

tlc1994 LawnSite Senior Member

Replace spark plug, if that doesn`t work, try fuel filter. Always check the cheapest stuff first.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I've never in the time I've used small engine handhelds have had to replace a sparkplug. I don't understand how you'd have to replace it once a month, and I'm a auto tech with 30 years experience! Either you're fuel/oil mix is too rich or you just like to spend money.

10. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Plug, air filter, fuel filter, dirty carb? Maybe one or maybe a mix.

I have an old Echo trimmer and couln't get it started without starter fluid. Changed the plug and worked ok for about a week. After that the same thing started.

Ended up being that the exaust (muffler) was filled up with a greasy sludge. How? Not sure, but after taking it off and cleaning it out it starts fine now.