Echo SRM 230 or Stihl FS 90R Trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nherweck, Feb 6, 2008.

?

Which trimmer?

1. Stihl FS90R $300

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Echo SRM230 $270

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  1. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, starting back up this season.
    I can afford $300 max (before taxes) on a new trimmer.
    I'm stuck between Stihl FS90R Trimmer for $300 and the Echo SRM230 trimmer for $270. I've had the Echo, and loved it, but my local dealer sells Stihl and I think the extra $30 may be good to spend to get a better relationship with the Stihl dealer.

What do you think?

2. hanson's glc

hanson's glc LawnSite Member
    from mn

i think if you like the echo go for it. you have had them and know what to expect out of the echo. to have a better dealer bound is nice but the $300 is very little to the dealer. you should buy what works for you. you work with it every day not your dealer every day i hope!!!!

3. hanson's glc

from mn

if it is only a back up go for the 210. it will save you $70 it is a straight shaft too. that is my next trimmer. i have had the 230 and the 260. my back up right now is the pas 260 with a trimmer head. if you went with that u are looking at 250 for the power unit and 79 for the trimmer head. hope i helped

4. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

This'll be my only unit as I'm restarting the business this year. I'll pick up another trimmer later in the season, but right now, this'll be it.

5. hanson's glc

from mn

less parts on the echo to go wrong.

6. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I'd buy the FS85 if I was going to buy a Stihl. I've never used the 230 Echo, but I love my 210.

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Echo 210 is a tad lighter than the 230. I ran the 230 all last year and it lacks the power needed for extended tall weed clearing. 230 takes some attachments. If you're not going to use those attachments buy the lighter 210. Both are great for most trimming etc.

My bent shaft Sthil FS-46 has never run correctly.

8. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Did you check out SRM261? They are $299 all over the place!!! Check harder for sales, I had seen FS110 for under $300 in the dealer!!! $300 can get you a lot of trimmers, I personally avoid hybrid 4 cycle engines like 4MIx or Shindaiwa C4 because of the routine decarbon and valve adjustments.

For $300, you have choice of Redmax, Echo, Kawasaki in 26cc range. If I were you, I'll pay $30 more and get Redmax BCZ3001S 29.5cc strong trimmer.

Do you have a choice of SRM311 in your state?? Don't get the small under power ones.

9. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Go with the STIHL and don't look back. I bought an FS90 and I love the power it has vs my old Echo SRM 2601. Exact rototilling, as far as I know unless you get an Echo PAS system you can not run attachments with just a regular trimmer. Now with the Stihl FS90 you can just simply change out the gearbox, say I'm on a job and my FC110 dies, I can simply change the gearboxes out and turn my FS90 into an FC90, I can also put the trimmer gearbox on my FC110 to make it an FS110 with no extra cost. If you want to have multiple attachments and not have to worry about changing out gearboxes look into the Stihl Kombi system.

10. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both the 210 and 230. I used the 210 for a while then bought the 230, now the 210 is my backup.
    The 210 was purchased used from another lawncare business who had it for 9 years. Still works perfect for me. If you want to save money, the 210 is enough to get the job done and last you a long time. If you have the entire $300.00 to spend, I would recommend the 230 for the extra power.