Echo SRM 230

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SchultzLawnCare, Apr 28, 2008.

1. SchultzLawnCare

SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought my echo trimmer, its the first straight shaft that Ive bought or used..... are there any tips that I should know about.... and do any of you guys use them currently how are they?! thanks!

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I have 2 SRM 230s and have had several more, I run the 261T now, and the SRM 230, it is not a bad unit. I would recommend removing the spark arrestor, this will get clogged otherwise, and rob power.
    Happy trimming.

BTW, if you are about 6' high, the spool holds 4 arm-spans of .095.

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I was gonna say the same thing about the spark screen. They clog and the unit will run very poor and have no throttle. Takes about 5 minutes to remove.

4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't run any Echo gear but I would not recommend removing the spark arrestor but instead, make sure that you strictly run 50:1 and 89 octane or better.

The better the 2 cycle oil the better off you will be. It is really important to keep the spark arrestors on if you are trimming near any brush or bushes that are high enough to be near your exhaust. Some of the guys on here have had problems from their equipment with removed spark arrestors.

Good luck

5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have a tip for you, return it and get a redmax 2601s or maybe a stihl. Just kidding, I really don't use or like echo trimmers. Keep the guard which will give it peak power and torque and will help the engine and clutch last longer. My 02.

6. SchultzLawnCare

SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

thanks everyone!

7. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

No question Echo is good. Question is are you happy with it. You think you have enough power? If you say yes on both, you got a winner!!!:waving:

8. S man

hmmmn, I question if echo is good.

9. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

You have any complain on Echo?? I thought Echo and Redmax are the best......Well.....so is my Honda!!!!.....So is your Stihl FS85 too!!!....Just grass is greener on YOUR other side!!!!:laughing::laughing:

Shoot!!! I would buy a FS85 if I can get one new here!!! Just to have one.

10. S man

Yes they are good trimmers. But too good. They are heavy duty and are loud!! I would like to grab a redmax later this year. Three trimmers wouldn't hurt.:laugh::dizzy: