1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo SRM 230

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Harleyboy52, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Harleyboy52

Harleyboy52 LawnSite Member

I know this isn't the right forum for this but I need help with a problem. I posted this on the mechanic forum but haven't received a reply yet. I bought an Echo SRM 230 off ebay and it starts and runs fine but when I let off the gas it quits. I rebuilt the carb today with new diaphragms, gaskets and spring. I still get the same results. As long as I hold full throttle it runs very strong but it dies as soon as I let off the gas. What's next?
  2. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

make sure its fresh gas echo oil mix 50 to one new fuel filter and plug also did you adjust the idle screw
  3. Harleyboy52

Yes I adjusted the idle screw. Screwing it all the way in doesn't change things. I'll try the gas filter tomorrow.
  4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

check the fuel line for a air leak, shut off the engine tip it around and see if fuel leaks from anywhere near the line, if its leaking go to echo web site and match the serial #to those that are on recall for leaking fuel lines,
    if its a match take it to a dealer & have it replace free of charge.
    if not remove the idle screw & spray carb cleaner thru the jet reinstall the needle and turn it open 1 and a half turns then adjust from there.
  5. Harleyboy52

When I said that I adjusted the idle screw I meant that I adjusted the screw that holds the throttle cable more open. There is not an idle screw with a jet in it. This carb doesn't have any adjustments on it at all.
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

i think its sucking air from somewhere, i have a 230 edger and line trimmer,
    never had a problem with them so i can't hardly say right now, other than that gas or spark plug, be sure you are using echo oil and try prem. gas.
    if you partial choke will it stay running or still die?
    that will help determine if its a lean or rich mix problem.
    if it stays running you have a lean problem if it still dies try full choke,
    if it still dies its a rich mix problem. also primer bulbs tend to be a leading cause of lean mix problems. air sucks in but they don't leak fuel.
  7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The 230 is Underpowered...Take it to a Dealer & Trade it for a 260.

Don't tell them it's Broke & Never go back.
  8. Harleyboy52

I think you are right about it sucking air. I'm at the fire dept tonight and can't start it up because it's after midnight now, but tomorrow I'll check to see if it still runs with the choke on. I tilted it in all directions and can't see any fuel leak. The primer bulb sucks gas in so good I don't think it's the bulb. It looks like the fuel lines will be pretty easy to change so I'll change them tomorrow and the fuel filter also. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks