Echo SRM-2400 Carburetor Trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tsh1773, Sep 18, 2006.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

This trimmer was leaking fuel out of the carburetor where the air filter housing is. I put in a carburetor kit and that didn't solve the problem.

It will not start if it's choked. It seems like it's getting too much fuel. It does run but cuts off sporadically, more so when held in a vertical position for edging. :confused:

Any ideas?

2. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Your needle valve is not seating, or the float is busted.
    Goto this link and follow the needle valve clean and check procedure.http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=160351
    Just click the link and it should dump you there.

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

2 cycle hand held equipment does not have a float, the needle lever and the diaphragm gasket act as the float. You probably have the lever set to high.

4. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

The kit I used had a replacement lever and spring. I'm not sure there's a way to adjust it.

Attached Files:

5. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Oh well, screwed up the second part of that one, didn't I?

6. MowerMedic77

Were you mounted the lever there is a valley that allows the lever to drop down you need to adjust the arm basically by bending it(not to hard) down if the unit is flooding, up if not getting enough fuel. The lever arm should be flush on this application, let me try and explain without a pic the point where the body of the carb makes the drop so the arm can travel this is the flush point so the arm at rest should be flush with the ledge use a razor edge or something like a small ruler edge to make sure the arm is flush you should be able to slide it over the ledge and arm and the arm should not hit the edge of the ruler or razor. Lost yet:confused: LOL

7. MowerMedic77

Nah... the idea was correct the parts is what got you screwed up LOL:)

8. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

i have leaned more to buying new carbs. not that i can't rebuild them. but some are touchy. with the cost of some new 2 stroke carbs between 40 and 60 bucks it will save time. you can change out a carb in 10 minutes or less and you'll spend 45 to 60 minutes tearing it apart,soaking,blowing and reassembling. it might be worth a call to see what your carb costs. just another avenue to check out.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I kinda wonder what is the difference between that 240 and the 260 echo, I have never seen a 260 leak fuel even after many years? And I only got one 230 and it leaks occasion. Those springs in the two carb kits sure look the same, but wonder if they are different spring force?

10. MowerMedic77

I tend not to buy carb kits from the equipment manufacture I order them from the carb maker usually one kit to cover multiple carbs but this is not always the case. As far as the different spring tensions I'm not sure but I would say they are not different if its from the same (carb)manufacture.
    The diaphragm is the most common thing to go, the needle lever is next it is usually worn at the tip where it contacts the diaphragm and also were it contacts the needle itself.