Echo SRM 251E

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lqmustang, Aug 5, 2006.

1. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know if anyone else has tried these out yet, but thought I'd give my 2 cents on one I bought about a month ago. I originally planned on buying a 260. My dealer showed me this funny looking new trimmer called the 251E. I'm usually game for something new, and for the $100 savings on the 260 I figured why not. Power wise, I'd say the 251E is comprable to the 260. Echo redesigned the grip/throttle. I give them a D grade here. I don't care too much for the new operator presence lever, as it's recessed a bit and doen't always stay down as well as the 'older' design. The new grip is also a bit larger in diameter. I might try to retro fit an older grip/throttle assembly to the new trimmer for better operator comfort. The plastic around the power head has been rededigned as well. I give them an A here. This trimmer has addressed the burnt arm issue quite nicely. Finally, this thing is definitely heavier. Still, this is the trimmer I find myself using more frequently because it doesn't burn my arm. My ocassional helper still prefers the 230 due to the lighter weight and more comfortable grip/throttle.

BTW, don't say 'shoulda bought a red max'. I have a kick a** dealer that know's how to take care of their commercial customers.

2. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

In June I purchased the 260 with the interchangable haif shaft. The handles took a little getting used to but other than that I love it.

3. N&CLandscaping

N&CLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 210 and it seems a little hot to be, but I like it.

4. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

That is the exact same reason that I use all Echo equipment. Great dealer support and they make good quality products.

I didn't like the SRM-251E too much so we are sticking with the SRM-260S. My dealer said that the 251E is aimed more at the high end homeowner than commercial.

I have a good friend who lives near Canton (actually Louisville) Who is your dealer? I would like to send him to a quality Echo dealer.

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

The 210's are great. Cheap, light, good on gas, adequit power and they don't get nearly as hot as the 260's.

Jeff

6. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

Third Day, the dealer is Pauls' Lawn and Garden located on the west side of Massillon, while there service is great, it would be quite a drive for your friend in Louisville. They also deal with Scag, Ferris, and Gravely, among a few others.

The next trimmer I buy will probably be the 260. What I would like to see tho is the new plastic design of the 251 around the 260, with no other changes. All the power with the more comfortable trigger and no heat burning the forearm.

7. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the "heads up" on the dealer. I will give the name to my buddy.

I don't have the "burning" problem with my SRM-260s trimmers. Maybe I'm just lucky I guess??

8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i carry the 251E in the curved shaft , but not in the straight.

The srm260s is Echo's best model for commercial trimming in my opinion.

The 251 series is set to phase out the 230 series. It has already replaced the GT230.

The difference with the handle is is IS thicker, and the anti-vibe was taken away.