Echo SRM-260 Bogs Down At Full Throttle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, May 3, 2005.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

At full throttle the unit will not run full speed. It sounds like it has exhaust ports clogged. I ensured that the spark arrestor is out, the ports are cleaned. I put a new filter, vent, spart plug, gas filter, gas lines and a new seal on the starter rope side of the crank. I took the carb apart and cleaned and then I took carb off another echo and put it on this unit with no luck. I don't see any leaks at head gasket. The last thing is ignition coil0 is it reasonable that it could cause this kind of problem. The unit is 2 years old with very low use...gas was changed out twice.

2. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

Check the seal on the magnet/coil side of the crankshaft. If it's cracked/broken, the unit is sucking LOTS/TOO MUCH air when you open the throttle. This seal's a pain to get to, but it sounds like you've eliminated everything else. Good luck.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you are correct I should have pulled the clutches off to see if that seal is damaged. Boy this unit is not very old so the seal should not be wearing out but I will check..thanks.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am almost dead sure it is the coil I will be replacing it. With a iginition light I can see poor spark ocassionally.

5. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

Ouch, hope it's not the coil. Kind of expensive; if I recall correctly, the last one I bought for my Shred-N-Vac cost about $75.00. It was running then it died; no in-between. Anyway, that 2nd seal lives right behind the coil/magnet doesn't it? You might want to check it while you're there just for the heck of it for all the work it takes to get to that neighborhood.

Sitting unused for long periods of time doesn't seem to help reliability, at least that's been my experience. As an example, I just bought a brand new PB-2400 (they stopped making them in 1997) from a dealer. Never had fuel/started. Gassed it up up, started it, and it bogs/dies at wide open throttle. After checking the usual suspects, carb, plug, vent, filter, etc. and then checking both seals which were good, a closer examination of the carb found heavy corrosion on the metal inside the carb. New carb coming. Hope you find the solution to your problem.

6. ArchZangel

ArchZangel LawnSite Member
    from Florida

the proper adjustment on the metering lever on the inlet needle. If it is down too low, not enough fuel will enter the chamber. Just a though. Most of the time, they shoiuld be level with carb housing. Or it should be level to closest ledge

ArchZangel

7. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I'd be a bit surprised if it were the coil, but if so, there is a lifetime warranty on it, so I'd get it into your dealer.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Now there is some good news...it was confirmed by the regional technical rep that was at the dealer for a picnic. He didn't say the coil was going to be free but I didn't ask..Thanks a lot I thought I was looking at $80 so I was waiting to get the part.

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I had the same problem and finally replaced the coil and it's fine now. But I had to pay for the coil even though the trimmer was a year old

10. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

You shouldn't have had to pay for an ignition coil.....labor, yes, but not the part.