1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo SRM 260

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cgreen454, Apr 19, 2005.

1. cgreen454

cgreen454 LawnSite Member

Picked up a 260 trimmer with about 10 hours use on it. It was bought by the orignal owner last fall, used to clear out an area, then put away till I came along and bought it. Idles fine, and if I can get it to full throttle, runs fine. If I start from idle and try to slowly increase the throttle she starts to bog down and will die out unless I back off completely or gun it. Sometimes it won't even make it to full throttle if I gun it.

I replaced the air filter and plug, same result. As far as I can tell there isn't a carb adjustment screw on the unit, only an idle screw. I can't imagine the carb would already be hosed, but maybe. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

remove the spark arrestor in the muffler it may be clogged...and if it isn't check to see if ports are clogged behind the muffler.
  3. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me, or air getting into fuel line(s).
  4. cgreen454

cgreen454 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I cleaned out the spark arrestor, but there wasn't any noticable buildup. It's looking more like a vacuum leak. So, the next question, how do you check and find the leak? Thanks again for the help.
  5. TFSTech66

TFSTech66 LawnSite Member

Unless you have aleak down test kit and know what to look for,..take it to a shop. For all you know it may just need some carb. work. :)
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The things I go thru with these units are: 1. Check to be sure the crankshaft seals are good on both sides-replace if worn(not likely if low use). 2. Replace the head gasket seal be sure you get correct one(use s/n and model 3. Replace the fuel lines and associated plug in gas tank 4.change out the fuel filter and vent. When you checked the exhaust port be sure the rings look okay. This after I have rebuilt the carb and then lastly I replace the coil- never had bad one yet but I got a unit now that I am down to it.