1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo srm-2601 trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnstar, Apr 24, 2001.

1. Lawnstar

Lawnstar LawnSite Member

I bought a new echo srm-2601 trimmer two weeks
    ago. It has plenty of power and runs great, but
    it has a brownish/ blackish oil that runs all over the cover. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from.
    It's looks pretty bad.

Does anyone own an echo that does the same thing? I paid
    too much money for this trimmer to be having problems this soon. I think I might take it back to the dealer
    and demand a new one.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What cover are you refering to - the exhaust? If that is the case, I wouldn't worry about it. I have two of them, and mine have done that for a couple of years. The reason? Fuel mixture. It is a sign that the fuel is mixed a little on the rich side, but that's just how I've always mixed it I guess. I have some 2 stroker equipment that is really getting up there in age, and it still runs good and strong. Oh, incidentally, after a while, you're going to notice a dramatic loss in power and the rpms will drop - almost like the engine can't breath, or it isn't getting enough fuel. This will just be your spark arrestor screen in your exhaust port clogging up. Simply take your exhaust apart and remove the screen, and you're good to go. About all 2 strokers do this eventually.

[Edited by Runner on 04-24-2001 at 01:00 AM]
  3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I agree. you could stretch back to 50:1 for a while, clean up the covers and see if it helps. Amsoil makes a synthetic oil that THEY say can go to 100:1. I wouldn't go that far, but it is an option. dave
  4. Lawnstar

Lawnstar LawnSite Member

Runner and David, I think you all are right. I do run the gas-oil mix a little heavy. It will tend to foul the spark plug and plug the muffer up sooner or later, but I can handle that.

I drop by my dealer today and had them look at it. The mechanic said the muffler was clogged and cleaned it out for me. He also removed the spark arrestor screen.

5. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I've had the same problem with echo equipment. Use the right ratio and the problem will be minimized. With the older echo stuff you could get away w/ a richer mixture. With the new stuff, they run a lot more efficient and the ratio is more important. I believe the ratio is 50:1. After a couple of times of having to get the carbs cleaned out I decided that it was cheaper to buy another fuel can and use the right ratio for my echo stuff.