Echo SRM-261T with Edgit

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joe4, Nov 14, 2005.

1. joe4

joe4 LawnSite Member

I put a Edgit on my new SRM 261T and love it. I had to make the hole a little bigger because of the gear box and add a washer to the head to fix the spacing but it works great.

I can edge as fast as I can jog. It leaves a great looking edge and keeps flower beds deep. Creating a new edge is not a problem, I do not even have to go back once and retouch. I also like how it keeps the operator safer.

Off topic but does everyone run there gear top speed. I was thinking any air cooled engine would last longer if cooled better by going all out all the time.
    I see alot of guys that are allways playing with the trimmer speed as they trim.
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

does edging with the edgit use alot of line, how far can you go before needing to bump the head to let more line out? Ive been wanting to try one, I figure if I dont like it, well lets just say Ive spent money on stuff before that I didnt like or work out. Also what size line and brand are you edging with
  3. joe4

joe4 LawnSite Member

It does not seem to burn line. I use echo line, the same one that comes with the unit .95 i think.

I think 65 dollars is worth it just for the saftey.
  4. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

What is your over all opinion of the Echo SRM261T ? I have six trimmers I need to replace next spring. I've got all Echo SRM230 now, but have no problem looking at other equipment. I've decided to go with the Stihl BR-600 blower. Trimmer wise, I've been looking at Echo, Red Max and Stihl, the Stihl trimmer is looking good so far.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

SRM261T is a excellant trimmer, the extra torque acquired by gearing the head down enable you to run a very long line. And, they have an adjustment for tuning the carb now. We run the 260 in general and now have 3 of these and like them a lot.
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Get a redmax, if you run with no guard. You'll wonder why you were running echo in the first place
  7. joe4

joe4 LawnSite Member

I am running Echo because I thought it was American, and do not want to have to teach my kids Japanese because Daddy wanted the best and failed to support America.

Now I read that Echo was a Japanese company Kioritz Corporation and am not sure where my money is going.

Made in America but everything else in Japan. Why are things to complex.
  8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'm curious as to how you gear down the head?

I'm also impressed by all the positive comments I see about the edgeit. Iv'e only really seen a few on trimmers around here and thought they looked pretty redicilous... But I always see them on the same guy's trailers... I guess if they didn't work I wouldn't be seeing them.

I'd like to get a new larger trimmer, I like Echo, But the Echo dealer here is someone I will no longer do business with.
  9. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Just to be clear, they do NOT protect the opperator.
  10. joe4

joe4 LawnSite Member

When compared to running no guard or the factory guard they DO protect the operator. It acts like a shield forcing debris away. I am not trying to say put on your flip flops, speedo and start trimming but in my opinion it is safer.

The SRM-261T comes from the factory geared, it is not a add on.