Echo SRM-261T .... Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmc456, Sep 8, 2005.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Who uses the SRM-261T?

How do you like it? I'm looking for a trimmer with some torque, but still want good head speed to cut grass cleanly.

How does the 261T do in tall grass and normal grass cutting. How long can you get the sting out before it bogs down. I'll be going from the 230 model which I use most of the time currently.

I use the edgit disk and want something that I can really mow with in small areas.
  2. dmc456

Anyone use one of these?
  3. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used one nor do I know anything about it. How much is it? If it's anywhere close, I would bump echo and buy the Stihl FS80R. It was the best thing I did.
  4. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 261T and the thing is a beast. Takes a lot of string to bog it down. You'll be happy if you get it.
  5. dmc456

What did they change to get the extra torque? Is the head slower than the standard 260?

Does it cut the fine grass just as well as the thick stuff?
  6. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

you want more power and torque go to the stihl. i ran echo 260s all the time till one day i needed a trimmer and i was $7.00 short for the echo 260s..(i was out working and just stopped to pick one up) and the stihl was $10.00 cheaper and ever since i run stihl trimmers, blowers. there power is better than echo and they seem to run forever. my echo's would give me 1 good year and then i would need to put on a new carborator cause it started to bog down. well not with the stihl's. they are awesome. and lighter than echo
  7. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

He's not talking about the 260's, he's asking about the 261T. It has a lot more torque.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The torque comes from the gearing in the transfer case at the end of the shaft. I tested an early model for local tech rep a couple years ago and this unit has a lot of torque. The other main factor with the new 261T is they have an adjustable carb that allows you to compensate for temp conditions and keep that unit running at peak rpm. Get the unit you wont' be disappointed. Obvious, you there are bigger trimmers but this unit may be the lightest unit with highest torque.
  9. topdog

topdog LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I Am Some What Unhappy With It.

I Bought Two Of Them Last Month, And They Do Have Good Power.

You Just Gotta No Longer Want The Skin On Your Arms.

These Things Get Way To Hot ...even After A Few Moments Of Use.

I Have Told My Retailer About It, And He Said "put Some Duct Tape

On It"
  10. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

I have one, it does burn your arm, but other than that I am satisfied with it.