1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Echo SRM 265s

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Travis1010, May 18, 2013.

1. Travis1010

Travis1010 LawnSite Member

I have a 265 thatran great. I put a new piston and rings in and ran great but now all it does is idle and if u squeeze the throttle it will slowly bog down till it dies. I just put brand new carb on and still same thing happens.:confused:

2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Have you removed the spark arrester screen on the muffler ?

Take the muffler off and check the exhaust port.

If the exhaust port is clean, start it with out the muffler and see if there is a change.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well if you put anew piston and ring in then I guess you ran raw gas. And if that was teh case you likely damaged the cyclinder. And since this is a one ring unit that is bad. But no need to get a new carb just get a kit and find the adjustment needles and you will be fine. Also clean up the exhaust port.

4. Travis1010

i have tried it without muffler and no change. Yes raw gas did get ran in it but cylinder checked out ok cause caught it early. It ran great for a long time after piston and ring job but all of a sudden one day went to start it and this happened. Could it be ignition timing somehow? I already put a new carb on it so thats definitly not the problem

5. pwoller

pwoller LawnSite Member

Just because you put a new carb on it doesn't mean that that isn't the issue. I'd look at tuning the carb before anything.

6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

ignition coil, lifetime warranty.

7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

With out the proper tools, you can not be 100% sure the cylinder didn't have some ware. Are there any scratchs in the cylinder ?

Do you have a way to check compression ?

Any thing over 100 psi and you should be good, anything over 90 psi and your cylinder would be supect. anything under 90 and you should replace the cylinder.

Timing is fixed. Did you remove the flywheel when you took it apart, if you didn't, no worries. When you took the cylinder off, did you remove the coil from it ? Did you reset the air gap ? Did you check for spark when it died ? Was it a nice blue color ?

Just because it came in a box doesn't mean it is set correctly....

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Timing as such comes from the coil but make sure oyou set the coil to flywheel correct..

9. Travis1010

ok ill have to check carb tomorrow. Im getting over 100 psi and coil is checking out good on gab but not sure my spark could be weak, ill have to check. Thanks for all the replies. This stuff is pretty easy for me usually but this one has really stumped me.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Ever once in a while i get a unit that everything measures correct but I have problems. That compression should be enough. If this a relative new unit the transfer ports inthe cyclinder should be okay.......and crank seals are okay?